Chase Freedom + Exclusives dilemma

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by sriracha, Apr 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sriracha

sriracha Silver Member

Status Points:
    been lurking here for awhile and now i finally have a headache worthy of asking.

i applied for the CSP last year, really liked the card, the customer service, and the rewards program. in fact it actually started got me thinking about switching my checking accounts from BoA (been there since 1997). read up on the Chase Exclusives program here and decided to take the leap.

i applied for the Freedom through a $300 cash back on $500 spend, went into a Chase the next day and switched my accounts over. found out today after card activation that there's 2 versions of the Freedom: UR and Exclusives. if you have a checking account at the time of opening, you get the Exclusive, otherwise you get the UR... which is not eligible for enrollment in the Chase Exclusives program.

i called around and my options were these:

1. customer service rep suggested to go see if a Chase banker can put in a product change request. might not work because my card is still new. the phone rep didn't know how long i need to have the card open for to be eligible for consideration.

2. Chase lending services said i can reapply for a new Chase Freedom, get denied, call them back and they can do a credit line reallocation. however this will result in another credit pull and i'll most likely lose the $300 cash back bonus.

3. my personal idea: spend $500 on the Freedom UR, get the bonus, reapply for the Freedom Exclusive etc. but given all the posts lately on the increased credit scrutiny from Chase, i feel this maybe pushing the edge of their envelope.

can anyone provide any guidance as to how should i proceed from here?

2. ccperr010681

ccperr010681 Active Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you need to reapply, the card should link automatically to your checking account to give you the Exclusives benefit. When I got the Freedom card, about 6 months ago, I signed up using the UR version as you put it, when I called to activate it I mentioned the exclusives program and they told me it would be enrolled automatically, though it may take a month or two. I did have to send a secure message about 2 billing cycles later when the card still hadn't been enrolled but the rep that responsded to the secure message enrolled it right away.

Long story short, you should be able to get the $300 bonus as well as get the Exlcusives benefits from the card, just may take a biling cycle or two and a secure message to chase on your part to help them along.

Others maybe able to give you more information but I am 99.9% sure you don't have to reapply or change cards, unless something has changed in the past 6 months.

Good Luck.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  3. PinnacleJew

PinnacleJew Active Member

Status Points:
    If you opened your chase checking account after your card was listed as approved on the system, you'll have to wait three billing cycles to be eligible. That's it! Beyond that, YOU'RE IN.

4. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine took effect during the 3nd billing cycle and even had a points adjustment during the 2nd. No need to reapply

5. sriracha

sriracha Silver Member

Status Points:
    thanks for info. I'll keep any eye out on the next 2-3 billing cycles

6. sargenet
    Original Member

sargenet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though it can take a few months to kick in Chase was nice enough to manually give me credit for the 2 months it took to kick in. I called after my first Freedom bill and the rep and I agreed on what I should have earned. Gave me manual adjustment. Same thing the second month.

There was a bit of confusion about whether I was on program or not. I got the Freedom first with the $300 sign up. Over a month later I got my checking acct opened. Took a few calls to make sure I was set up and a few reps were confused. But it was really all automatic.

7. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way to see online if a Freedom card is enrolled with Chase Exclusives? I've had a Chase Freedom card for years and just started using it again when I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred a few months ago and could transfer into Ultimate Rewards. I just opened a Chase checking account hoping to finish out the UR trifecta. Any experience on the process when opening the checking account as the last piece? Thanks, MPers!

TAHKUCT likes this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I opened my Chase checking after I already had Chase Freedom card. It took 2 billing cycles to see Chase exclusive bonus on my statement. Did not see any other way to check enrollment on chase.com, but you could probably just call Chase.

PointsCashMiles and riverchica like this.
  9. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing your experience, TAHKUCT!

PointsCashMiles and TAHKUCT like this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yo are very welcome! ;)

11. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had tried sending a secure message through Chase.com to figure out when the chase exclusives program would take effect but was told that it was something only available if you go in to a branch office. I ended up just waiting and mine also took 2 billing cycles to show up on my statement. I had the checking account first.