Chase Freedom Card - using gift cards at grocers for 5x bonus from Apr-Jun?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by seaflyer, Mar 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the upcoming grocery store bonus category from April-June, does anyone know if it's possible to [edited] purchase the various gift cards to other stores that are available at most chain stores (was just in Safeway and for the first time ever noticed this aisle! ...Tunnel vision towards the ice cream section i suppose) to get the 5x bonus points and then use these gift cards at UR shopping portal?

2. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are willing to forgo CC protection.

3. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm assuming you mean to purchase gift cards, not to use gift cards. You would need to use your freedom card to get the 5x bonus. If this is your question then yes, purchasing a gift card from Kroger will earn you 5x points. However it all comes down to how the retailer codes the transaction. I've had experiences where ocasionally it shows up on my discover card as "Services" instead of "Grocery".

As for the second part of your question about using those gift cards in the UR mall, it depends on the store. Check out the T&Cs of each store before making your purchase. There is also a great thread here http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/1298106/

seaflyer likes this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are examples of valid merchants for 5x: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants.aspx

I go to another local specialty grocery store once a month that shows up under "Groceries" for Blueprint (and says "_____ GROCERY STORE" on the statement) so I feel I should be good there.

5. seaflyer

seaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    @Dangjr213 yes, I did mean to purchase gift cards at grocery stores. Thanks for your help and the thread link!

@daemon14 - thanks for the link of valid merchants! Very helpful! Also, there is such a grocery store named Piggly Wiggly? *liz lemon voice* I want go to there.

6. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally off topic, but yes, there really is a grocery chain Piggly Wiggly. It's the oldest true self-service grocer in the US. I have seen them in lots of smaller towns in the SE, especially Mississippi. Nothing particularly noteworthy about them, good or bad. They are all indepently owned.

seaflyer likes this.
  7. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a side note, Kroger is also offering 4X fuel points on gift card purchases through mid April, so good opportunity to stack up.