Chase Fraud Alerts

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dear Chase,

Please stop sending routine non-urgent messages from an email account named "Chase Fraud Alerts".

Also, it is nice to know that I no longer have to notify you when I am planning to travel abroad. But you don't have to send me that information over and over again. From a friggin' fraud alert email. Sheesh!

Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

1. Make sure that the emails claiming to be from Chase are legit
    2. Almost all alerts sent out by Chase are controlled by you and not by Chase so select the ones you wish to receive.
    3. You will receive bona fide fraud alerts from Chase, which are NOT frequent but are truly urgent and if you ignore them, it would result in your being locked out of your account until you contact Chase [that is one way to know that they are legit].

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    B1BomberVB and 8MiHi like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    HMWT, I urge you to phone Chase on this matter. If nothing else, to report the spammer/ phisher who is sending you fake e-mails!

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fairly certain it's not a spammer or phisher, but rather Chase sending these.

chase_fraudalert.png

All the URLs point to a Chase domain. There is nothing in the message that would actually encourage me to follow one of the links. The email headers are fine. The sender knows my real name and the last four digits of my various Chase accounts.

The point, though, is that this is not a fraud alert, and it's irritating (at least to me) to see a series of emails from "Chase Fraud Alert" pop up on my phone or watch that aren't really urgent or for that matter even important (contrary to the subject line).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    B1BomberVB likes this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Strange. I just searched for past emails from 'Chase Fraud Alert' and found exactly 3 over the past year, all of them because of suspected fraudulent activity. If your alerts are legit, then they may be new or be related to some Chase cards...or you may be getting one per every Chase CC you have to advertise this "new" rule? Every other alert I received because I enabled it in my profile and they are different from the "true" fraud alert shown below upload_2014-11-13_16-33-47.png ...

satman40 and B1BomberVB like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I enabled my fraud alert, I always want to know.

Received a request from another bank today, also.

CYA.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Of course, if Chase detects a potentially fraudulent transaction, I do want to hear from them. And I expect to hear from them using an account labeled "Chase Fraud Alert" (I should go through some of my email archives and look at old "real" fraud alerts). But I don't want to get random customer service emails from that email address. I get so many emails that I generally scan (or filter) by sender for important stuff, and messages from "Chase Fraud Alert" are ... alarming. But send me a ton of those non-alert alerts and I will stop paying attention to them. Yesterday alone I got two, and I know those weren't the first ones.

satman40 likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it be you have "Chase Fraud Alert" in your address book under a Chase customer service email address and the name is being pulled from there? Apple mail loves to do that. Please, can you post the actual "From" line in the raw email source if you have access to it? I'd want to make a note of it so I don't panic either :)

flyforawg and satman40 like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand what you are saying, however they could in the future use my ignoring it against me.

Funny how Laws work these days.

Even the crooks have rights,

Don't shoot me I just robbed a store, I know I just punched you, and tried to steal your gun,

And now the cop is being investigated.

Most of my email goes to the junk folder.

Counsellor likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The screenshot above was from the web email client of my hosting service. No address book. Here's the relevant header from Thunderbird:

emailheader.png

13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Those actually aren't the raw headers, but thanks to your info I was able to find that address in my emails and sure enough, just like you said, the headers do eventually translate into "Chase Fraud Alert". Trouble is, the only instances I could find were indeed fraud alerts but I agree it's really dumb of them to use that name with emails having nothing to do with fraud.

(That said, some providers (I'm talking about you, Gmail) lump all the emails with one address under one name so it's still possible Chase puts different names in the headers for the same address. Gmail would display them all with the same name even if some have different names. But if I had to guess, I'd say you were 100% correct and Chase is being 100% silly.)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten a couple of these, the first just after filing an online notice of pending travel. Since the message specifically mentions the CSP, but not my other Chase cards, I asked if this applied to all cards I hold. Reply - no, just the CSP. Well, that seems pretty dumb; really helps to have uniform customer-facing policies unless there's a real reason, which of course they won't disclose. So I keep telling them about my pending travel, and I keep getting the auto responses saying not to bother for the CSP. But the website travel notice applies to all cards you hold, so...

bigx0 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  15. rxgeek

rxgeek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has there been a spike in cc fraud in the last month? Wife got fraud alerts from Chase on her Sapphire and Hyatt cards within one week. She had not used either recently.