Chase CO or UA card?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bez7, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I have both the MP and OnePass Chase cards but want to cancel one of the two. Is there a distinct reason to keep one over the other? I'm pretty sure the OnePass card will end up transitioning to MP, might make sense that way to just keep the MP card. Thoughts?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Eventually they'll merge. I have both cards as well and plan to keep both for the time being. The UA card gives me triple miles on united.com purchases (as well as up to 5000 EQM) and the ability to use Choices at year-end to top off my EQM balance. The CO card gives me primary car rental coverage.

3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Instead of closing fully one of the accounts, I would combine the credit line of both cards onto one card, so you can keep all of your existing credit. This will also be better for your credit report and will not affect it.

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Closing an account yourself will probably put a bigger ding on your credit than letting Chase eventually merge the two (I can't imagine they would keep both). At least, that's what I would figure, but I don't really understand how they determine what has what size effect. We also don't know what the benefits will be like next year, so I think you should hold off for now.

If you really want to close one, I think the UA Select Visa is better than the CO OnePass Visa. It seems easier to get EQM if you're only spending a couple thousand per month, the RDM bonuses are better, and since I'm already elite I don't need a free bag perk. Then again, the CO card gives you two free club passes each year. But since when is an airline club really worth $50 for a day pass?

MJonTravel likes this.