Chase CO Mastercard -> Anything Else

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Muerl, Mar 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just called up Chase to close my CO Mastercard, which just came up for annual fee. I wanted to see if I could transition this card to be a Chase Freedom card, which given that I had no problems with Citi doing the same thing, AA Amex -> no fee Thank You card, I expected to work out just fine.

The CSR told me she could only close the card, could not do anything else with it, could not wave the annual fee, and MIGHT be able to transfer the credit line to a different UNITED credit card, but only to another united credit card.

I am debating attempting to contact Chase through THEIR phone tree given that the woman on the phone claimed she worked for both Chase and UA.

Anyone done something similar to this?

2soonold likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All indications seem to be that you can go Freedom<--> Sapphire (perhaps because the common currency is UR points) but not CO/United <--> Freedom/Sapphire.

Why not wait for the Freedom sign-up bonus to go up again (up to 25,000 UR pts, transferrable to other accts)?

2soonold likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can definitely transfer the credit line to ANY other Chase card, as I have frequently done this. However, I'm not surprised at her other objections. If you want a different credit card, you have to apply for it. I'm surprised Citi would give you a new card without an application. The offers to switch between a Freedom and a Sapphire card are most likely due to the fact that those cards are different tiers of the same Ultimate Rewards program, just like BofA has two different Alaska Airlines cards, etc.

This doesn't seem like a huge deal. Apply for a new Chase card and transfer the credit line after you're approved, then cancel the CO card.

2soonold likes this.
  4. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your post.
    My situation is different than yours, so I do things a little differently. My card is up for the annual fee. I will pay the fee, and about a week later close the card. My guess is that that "can't do nutin but go to UNITED" is probably bull brought on by Chase being caught up in that mess referred to as the(CO/UA) "Merger". Explorer seems like an ok card; but for my money, it's just a possibility a couple of years down the road after the cowchip dust from the "Merger" settles.
    Still, old school wisdom says always call back till ya get what ya want. So, if you've got the patience...

5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that it was fairly common to allow you to downgrade a card to a less expensive one, or to convert to one in the same "group" ie I had thought they had a no fee card for united. But that being said, If I can consolidate my credit line onto 1 city card I guess that would look better on my report by increasing average. No new credit apps until after we get a mortgage :(

I was surprised Citi offered me a change, I was just expecting them to wave my annual fee. I guess that emboldened me to try for the other one.

6. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    A month ago, I called Chase to do the same thing and they would not let me convert my CO OnePass to anything except to the premium Continental card (Presidental? I forget the name). I only wanted the Freedom so I declined.

harvson3 and Scottrick like this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you pay the fee right before canceling?

harvson3 likes this.
  8. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why not wait until march 20th for the rollout of the new Chase United club card, and see what the inducements to go there are?

9. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know that would make sense around here in general, but that would be like $400 for a card that, as a leisure traveler, I might see the benefit of once or twice. Lounge Access is nice, but If I am only traveling twice a year, I should just keep the explorer card, which since I ALSO have the 3/2/1 United card would seem pretty useless to me.

10. notbgates
    Original Member

notbgates Silver Member

Status Points:
    I THINK (not sure) that one or more of the Chase United VISA cards give you lounge passes @ account anniversary, as well as multiple miles/dollar, depending on spending category.
    And MAYBE the Club card will be "first year free" , as the CO Presidents card was when offered to targetted market last year.
    But probably not, so good luck!