Chase Checking Bank Account

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MDDCFlyer, Feb 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an interesting question for all the experts out there. Having the Sapphire and Freedom card it is highly advisable to have a Chase bank account as well to maximize the point.

The problem is, Chase has no branches in my State, so online requests cannot even be intiaited. Phone request was denined as well.

So - is there any way of opening Chase checking account in a state without branches? If I physically get to a branch (out of state) will they open an account for me with an address out of state where the branch is located in?

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to. Give that branch a call and talk to a manager before you will go there.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't believe that Chase will open an account for you. By opening up an account with your address, they are "doing business" in your state. By "doing business" in your state, they need to report your interest to your state and meet all state specific requirements (reporting and otherwise). I am sure they don't have these things set up since they don't normally do business in your state.

Bottom line is that I think you are out of luck.

4. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is what I thought too. Although they did say on the phone that if I had already bank account with them and wanted to change the address - it would be possible. So technically if I had a bank account they will still be "doing business" in the state.

deant likes this.
  5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think the difference between a change and address and a new account is one of "solicitation". In the case of a new account, they are soliciting the business. On a change of address, they are not.

6. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two years ago I didn't have any problems opening a Chase Checking account on a visit to NJ. It was during the last 25k CO miles for opening an account promotion so I really wanted it. I live in PA and Chase doesn't have consumer representation here, but the bank guy in NJ had no problem opening an account for me.

7. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. As I will be in NY anyway in several weeks, I will just stop at a Chase branch and give it a go - worst case I wasted some time.

cvarming likes this.
  8. m124

m124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about chase, but I was able to open a bofa checking accout in florida and I live in utah where there are no bofa banks, only home loans centers.

9. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    You won't have a problem. Out of state people and even foreigners can open checking and savings accounts wherever without issues.

10. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    But remember the fees associated with Chase checking accounts. You must either have 5 debit card transactions or a direct deposit for more than $500 every month. It is a good thing that Paypal withdrawals counts as direct deposits.

11. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to park there the minimum daily balance that required to keep the fees at zero. With interest rates being what they are the perks worth much more than the interest I would forgo on that money.

12. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Update - on a recent trip to NY, I had no problems what so ever to open the bank account. As I have to pay Chase credit cards anyway, and my employer allows splitting Direct Deposits to several banks, it is was no brainier.