Chase Cards-How many accounts can I expect?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by agape2travel, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. agape2travel
    Original Member

agape2travel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have researched similar threads on MilePoint but nothing comes up recently so here goes my question. I'm interested in the new Chase Marriott card offer. I currently have 3 Chase accounts (Priority Club, Sapphire, and Southwest) with about $2,000 per month charged monthly on the three cards. The PC card is old, Sapphire is from the late spring 2011 and the Southwest card is from this summer. How long should I wait to apply for the Marriott card? Will Chase give me 4 accounts (my FICO is 792)? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Happy travels!

2. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    if someone in the know reads and answers here, my question is how long after recieving the Chase Sapphire (my only Chase card, approved a few weeks ago), does one have to wait to apply for that Chase Marriott?

agape2travel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    To address the OP's question, I have four Chase cards. When I applied for my most recent one (Priority Club VISA), they offered to close an older one (Sony VISA... stop laughing, it was OLD and had a fairly low credit limit!) to let me get the new one.

I am thinking of applying for the Sapphire and I am willing to give up my Continental MC in exchange as I still have my UA Visa.

jmrich1432, kenbo and agape2travel like this.
  4. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Do you remember exactly when you applied for the new Priority Club Visa?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mid-April of this year. I got it to complete the Crack the Case PC promo. So it's been almost six months and I assume I am good to go for a new one now ;-)

6. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 Chase cards and my FICO is about 800. I got 2 cards 7 years ago (MP Visa and Freedom Card). I got the Hyatt card in December and the CO OP Card in April. The OP card has a very low limit compared to my other cards. I just wanted the miles.

7. agape2travel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'm applying for my 4th Chase this week. Happy travels!

8. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have chase --- BA APRIL 2011--- INK JULY 2011---HYATT JULY 2011---SAPPHIRE JUNE 2011 PLUS 20 YEAR OLD UNITED CARD

9. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had 2 cards and FICO of 780-810 when I got my 3rd card. They made me take some of the credit line off one and put it on the 3rd card (took one from 18k to 8k and make a new 10k card).

10. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    Spouse applied for the following Chase cards:

March 2011: CO 50K, Hyatt: Approved for Hyatt, initial denial for CO 50K. Closed out older 3 yr old UA no annual card to get CO 50K card on recon. 1 credit inquiry for both since same day. (on Experian :()

May 2011: BA 100K card. Initial denial. Moved part of credit line (CL) of one card to new card on recon, then approved.

Sept 2011: Chase Sapphire Preferred 50K. Initial denial. Moved credit line of another card to new card on recon, then approved.

Her FICO's are in upper 700's with the above and other very recent applications. (2 x 75K Citi AA cards, etc). Also applied for Capital One 100K match status back this past March.

Now to work on spend requirements on the two Citi AA & Saphire cards. Hate to put Starwood in the drawer but it will come out after miles post on these other cards. :;

agape2travel likes this.
  11. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase may give you 4 accounts, but they may also require you to either reduce the credit line on one card or cancel a card.

In my experience, Chase usually has the best reconsideration department. You call them (888-245-0625) and they agree to move credit lines or close an account and approve you for a new card. However my last call was quite the interrogation (I wrote about it on my blog), but I did manage to get approved for the card. But I decided to tone down the number of my Chase applications after that.

I'd wait at least 3 to 4 months (30 days at a minimum) between Chase applications especially if you have a lot of recent applications with Chase.

kenbo and agape2travel like this.
  12. koctail

koctail Silver Member

Status Points:
    i completely agree. i am treading lightly with Chase.

how about biz cards. i have recently seen instances of people applying for biz and personal Chase cards at the same time. is a biz card included in the 4 account limit?

agape2travel likes this.
  13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did get approved for 1 business card and 1 personal card back in Marc/April, but I hadn't had a Chase application since November 2009. The business card is included in the 4 card limit I mentioned earlier.

The analyst knew exactly how many cards I had, when I opened them, and when they were closed and was asking lots of detailed questions about them. Why can't all banks be run like Citi? ;)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  14. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great discussion. Please advise on my Chase strategy. .

If four is the limit including business card, then I have one more to go. (Currently have CO/WN/ Freedom, only use the CO + WM cards). As far as I know, my credit is high 700s. So, a) should I wait for a new United card? b) try for Sapphire Preferred or c) do more research on Ink Business card? I just cannot remember is the lnk has the same Ultimate Rewards as the Sapphire. I would like to accumulate/use miles for an SFO-CDG trip later in 2012.

P.S. I have about 4,500 UR miles hanging around and I guess they will transfer them to another UR card.

15. benthelefty

benthelefty Silver Member

Status Points:
    TPG reported that he has a friend with 6 cards...probably pacing and taking your time. I've snagged 3 in the past 4 months and am cooling off on them for a while too.

@Million mile - Mine was the same way with the approval with the latestt BA one (I missed the 100k bonus I know). He was asking about rent and reason for applying for all the new ones. I was able to convince him and get an approval though :)

nolamom likes this.
  16. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied for Sapphire last night (under review). I think I have good reasons for the new card if I am questioned a) traveling more, b) have those orphan Freedom Rewards that cannot be used for airline miles unless they are transferred to UR, c) will be fine with the Freedom LOC being reduced to accommodate the new Sapphire.

Then I will cool off for a couple of months, and in January apply for the United Explorer with the reasoning that there is no longer a CO brand, and I will be flying United. That will get me those nice perks like the 2 free lounge visits.

Best news of all, by adding my husband as an Authorized Signer on the CO card (got it 30 days ago), I now may have enough miles to for an LAX-CU trip in the spring. Wish me luck!

17. nolamom

nolamom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got my sapphire approval. no questions asked. which hotels chains does it partner with?

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are the only hotel transfer partners part of ultimate rewards program.

19. Jizzle

Jizzle Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got approved for OPP 60 days post sapphire, no questions asked. I was surprised with the high limit they issued given all the other cards also have limits. Anyone know the ceiling?

20. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 5 personal cards (acquired over 3 years, last 2 cards within a month of each other). So 4 cards is a myth.

21. finite7777

finite7777 Member

Status Points:
    just got my sixth, 5 in the last 6 months, the last three required reallocation from one card to another.
    All personal, no business, and I might add I have marginal credit i.e. I cannot get an approval from Citi or B of A even before the Chase run. 3 Amex as well the last 4 months,
    Hyatt- 2 free nights Hyatt Park Vendome @ value $1600
    Continental-1/2 RT TATL to Paris first class
    Priority-80k
    British-1 way first Cathay Bali-SFO
    Southwest-50k-cashed 40k into $500 walmart and used 10k to accomplish award from old days
    Marriot-80k will be using for 5 nights Bali

curtis1120 and TAHKUCT like this.