Chase Card UGs Not Applicable on Copa

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was sure that I had read that the Chase card upgrades on award tickets applied to United and Copa flights. I learned yesterday that they do not apply to Copa flights.

My award flight yesterday on Copa MDE-PTY-SJO had a one class Embraer 190 (The first I've ever seen on Copa) for the MDE-PTY portion, but the 737 on PTY-SJO had plenty of open seats in the front cabin. The agent in MDE had already told me that award tickets were not eligible for UGs, but I thought she was just confused.

Upon arriving home last night, I checked the web site, and it says that it is good on United flights only. I'm not sure if they changed the verbiage, or if I was simply mistaken.

Copa has no CC option, so I'm not sure why they, as a MileagePlus airline, do not offer the same benefit as UA with regard to the card UGs. Whatever the reason, if you are planning award travel on Copa, don't plan on receiving a CPU. My flights were shorties, but from BOS, EWR, ORD, LAS or LAX to PTY and perhaps beyond, it could be a major factor on how I book, so I thought I'd share it here.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they do not share in the revenue etc. from the CC it seems reasonable to not incur the costs (whatever they may be) of offering the benefit conferred by the card and used to promote it.

If nothing else I could see preferential treatment of US members of mileageplus over panamanian ones as a serious issue on their end.

KenInEscazu and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    The CC revenue issue certainly crossed my mind, and I'm sure that is precisely what it comes down to. My understanding from what I have read in these forums is that Chase actually pays for the UG, so it also seems that it would benefit them in added value to their cardholders if they allowed CPUs on both MileagePlus airlines.

So it is what it is. I may be the only person on this board who was ever confused by this, but I figured I would share my experience just in case someone on one of the longer routes was expecting to get Copa's rather reliable UGs on an award ticket.