Chase Card: Can I pre-pay balance due and spend more in the same month?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by iolaire, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will I experience any problems if I prepay my Chase balance for this month and spend/donate more money using that card? As it ends up my SW card has the lowest limit around and I’d like to put a more money on it this month. Other than some large charitable spend I’m not using the card much.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gone over our monthly limit on the Sapphire, the PPlus, and now the Explorer by paying halfway through the billing cycle and then continuing to make charges.

Note that there are some delays in payment processing and in increasing your available credit afterward. And it may affect your ratio of credit-used/available-credit and thus your FICO score for churn dates.

EDIT: I want to say that, given my experience, I don't think you can "pre-pay;" the online system only allows me to pay the current outstanding balance and no more.

3. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. If your balance is zero, you cannot pay. But you can make multiple payments in a cycle - but then again, only once every 72 hours. Difficult to maximize spend or make big purchases if one's limit is so low, unfortunately.

jbcarioca, TAHKUCT, harvson3 and 2 others like this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had this problem years ago on my Starwoods Amex and would have to make multiple payments. This always hacked me off since all my other Amex cards had higher limits. It took me awhile to finally get them to raise the limit. If its an older account you can always ask them for a credit line increase.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some cards will allow you a very modest increase in the credit line without pulling a credit report. You can ask by phone, perhaps once per year, and the new limit takes effect almost immediately.

2soonold, jbcarioca and iolaire like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for your responses, I'll just wait for my purchases to post and pay them off and go again. It seems like that should take under a week, so I can cycle through my desired spend quick enought, versus waiting for the statement to close.

jbcarioca, harvson3 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have done this many times in the past with Chase. You should be good to go!

jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and iolaire like this.
  8. Sun W Kim

Sun W Kim Active Member

Status Points:
    You might ask about terms for going over your credit limit. I'm not sure if the law has changed since 2008 credit card act, but I recall there were fees for going over your limit. Some banks will let you go over but then charge you for it. Others will decline. Others say it is okay as long as you are not ore your limit by the end of your billing cycle.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole point is to stay under my limit but make multiple near limit charges in a month by paying it off within the month (multiple times)...

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    i pay mine before the cycle ends all the time but i use my banks billpay service to do it...

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot make a payment online, however you can mail a payment via snail mail or do a balance transfer.

jbcarioca and jetsetr like this.
  12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was in the same situation and had to do exactly the same to meet my Amex SPG spend requirement for my bonus. Funny part is, at that time my credit line was only 2k and became 20k once my spend requirement was met. :confused:

Bluto, perryplatypus and iolaire like this.
  13. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe Amex wants to give lower limits on new SPG cards to make it harder to reach spend requirements so they don't have to issue bonus points. I just set a friend of mine up with the SPG card back in Jan and did the same thing to her too. Also this is the second time I have referred some one and I have yet to see the 5000 point bonus. If you call and ask about it they tell you some story about it's confidential.

iolaire and TAHKUCT like this.
  14. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a followup query of the original post. So if I prepay the balance of 3k in the middle of the billing cycle, and the statement eventually post with only 1.7k balance. Is chase smart enough to credit me with 4.7 miles on MP or just the 1.7k miles. Please help shed some light on this!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in my quest to get to 10k spend in on month with a low credit limit I did multiple rounds of $2,500 purchases, wait a few days for it to post, then pay off the current balance, wait a few more days for the payment to post and the repeat. My closing balance was $37, but I recieved my full 10k plus points.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The answer is yes, Chase will credit 4700, as long as there is an outstanding $3000 balance in the middle of the cycle to be paid off, and "prepay" means pay before the bill comes due. You can't pay for charges you haven't yet incurred.

17. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great! thanks guys, exactly what i needed to know. Did anyone have experience with the bonus from booking UA tickets from the website? Did the bonus post together or a few weeks later?

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your points usually post with the statement for which they are earned. Based on your other posts, I assume that you're referring to the extra points you get for buying UA tickets on a Mileage Plus Explorer. Those should show up with the statement. The 50K (or other) bonus should show up in your United acct 5-8 weeks after your first purchase.

19. lusfort

lusfort Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, was indeed referring to the point for buying UA tickets on MPE

SuperKirby likes this.
  20. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can warn you about multiple payments to Chase to exceed the initial limit. I had two very negative situations regarding this. Once a few year ago and another time recently. Several years ago I got a message that they were dropping Ritz Carlton from their program. I needed a certain amount of extra points to get 7 nights at Ritz and redeem them. It was a great award. My line was 10K one of my smaller lines. I have AAA+ credit for the past 10 years+. After paying mid cycle I never got the points. I called and raised hell. Chase is miserable. they are unlike any other card company and I have dealt with many. They state that 10K was their maximum line (risk) assigned to me. Even through the charges were approved on their end they reserve the right to keep the points. I complained formally in many places, with no luck. This time I will sue them in small claims and take my chances against them. Also all were legit charges in case some here think I was buyign coins or some nonsense.

SuperKirby likes this.
  21. loudnotes

loudnotes Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I do this using Citibank I can send any amount, irrespective of whether charges have already posted. I suppose in theory Chase could reject the payment, but if you want to prepay a balance this is the way to do it.

SuperKirby and desamo like this.
  22. Redhead

Redhead Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always use my bank's online bill pay to pay my bill. If I am going to be travelling somewhere with sketchy internet service, I will often pay my current balance plus an amount equal to or slightly above the amount that I expect to spend during the remaining time of my statement cycle. That way if I miss my online statement, it's no biggie since I won't owe anything since my account will be in credit. I do this all the time

SuperKirby likes this.
  23. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That makes perfect sense to me, however. The intial question was mid cycle to exceed total line. No card I ever used would have any issue with this Chase does have issue with it. If you pay slightly above due to your reasons that will probably fly, but they (Chase) are unlike any card company and I would not be surprised if they question it somewhere along the way.

SuperKirby likes this.
  24. Dangjr213

Dangjr213 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tried to do this last month with my freedom card. With a new application coming up I didn't want the card to post with a high outstanding balance so I made a very large payment just before the statemnt closed. I only recieved UR points for the new statement balance not the total purchases. Had to call customer service who sent an email to the marketing department. Still waiting on my missing 3k UR points (it's been about a week). The phone rep couldn't figure out why I only got UR points for my outstanding balance and not total purchases.

SuperKirby likes this.
  25. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reviving here, but what happened? Anyone still experience only getting UR points from outstanding balances and not the total purchases when paying mid-cycle?

Dangjr213 likes this.