Chase BA VISA now has chip & signature technology

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by Jenny & Curt, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    As it already has no currency conversion fee, this card moves farther forward in my wallet due to today's news that Chip & Signature technology is now available. It has been a real frustration not to be able to buy train tickets through automated kiosks in Europe, and dangerous at times not to be able to purchase gas after hours, with none of our cards having chip technology.

I emailed Chase through secure message center, and they confirmed that my new card should arrive by 11/29.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...MbMJ8w?docId=0cde554c3e854971a21390c1d7175be6

TAHKUCT and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are reports on FT that the "Chip-and-Signature" cards (such as the JP Morgan Select, or the Palladium) still don't work in some automated kiosks that use the "Chip-and-Pin" cards, as they expect to have a PIN entered. Sometimes a workaround is to enter 0000 or a random number. They do seem to work better than magnetic stripe cards, though.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where is the chip and signature actually useful? Those ticket vending machines presumably want a PIN, not a signature. Are there stores that only accept chip and signature, but not magnetic strip and signature?

(in any case... sent them a PM)

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be some difference in terminology -- some places say it will be Chip & PIN; others say Chip & Signature. One place I read that it's really Chip & PIN with an added layer of security where the merchant can ask for a signature. I figure I'll see it soon enough.

5. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe any place that accepts chip and pin credit cards technically also has to accept mag stripe (as part of the merchant credit card agreement). The difficulty usually comes when the cashier doesn't know how to use the card swiper, or how to otherwise accept a magnetic stripe and signature transaction.

The chip and signature cards help, because the chip reader is the same whether its pin or signature based. So at least the machine can read the card. I've heard sometimes that the card chip readers will automatically spit out a receipt to sign instead of asking for a pin, or that by just pressing enter at the pin prompt...

There's lots of discussion in this FT thread about where the Chip and Signature cards actually work:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...nce-emv-cards-chip-pin-chip-signature-12.html

I've just been muddling through with my mag stripe card and cash. Most of what I've reported above in from that thread. I'm very tempted to convert my Chase Sapphire to the JP Morgan Select for the chip, but it seems like the chip and signature isn't quite worth it (the insurance options on the JPM Select might be, though).

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not desperate for the chip option -- only encountered problems a few times that I solved with cash. But I still asked Chase to mail me one. The BA card is slated to be cancelled next year, but I'll give it a try on at least one trip and at the very least it will signal Chase that there is interest in them catching up with the rest of the non-US credit card world.

yaychemistry likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I hope Chase will roll this future to other cards and certainly hope that Amex will follow the trend within the next 2 months before my international travel starts.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My card arrived last week.

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried to use it at a Chip and Pin merchant yet? Have you received a PIN for it?
    When you will use it, can you report if it is chip and signature or it is an actual chip and pin card?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, it will be a little while before I go abroad...

So far... No.

Will do.

yaychemistry and TAHKUCT like this.