Chase BA Visa: 2.5 Avios per $1 on all purchases (targeted)

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by daemon14, Apr 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got this in the mail:

"Earn 2.5 Avios on your purchases: you are automatically enrolled

"Use your card from 4/01/12 to 6/30/12 and earn 2.5 Avios per $1 on all purchases up to $8,000

"Any bonus Avios you earn after you base earnings will post 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends

"You account must remain open and not in default until the end of the promotional period 6/30/12 to qualify for this bonus.

Unfortunately, my $95 annual fee hits next month and I'm considering canceling this card. I value Avios at about 1.3 cents each, so I would need to spend about $6000 to make this worthwhile, which is tough to do in less than 3 months. If you have the card, this might be something you want to look out for. Maxing it out over 3 months would net 10K extra Avios (in addition to the 10K from spending $8K you'd normally get).

2. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I both got one in the mail today as our cards will be up for renewal next month as well. My guess is that they do this to everyone who is at the one year anniversary. However, the offers seem a little tweaked. Mine said "on purchases up to $4000" and my wife's said $8000.

tondoleo likes this.
  3. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received this too. My card expires in a few weeks. It is not worth being charged another annual fee to get these points. Nice try Chase.

daemon14 likes this.
  4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm time to dig out mine from the recycling because I only checked my wife's and hers said up to $4,000.

5. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got this in the mail too. I'm curious to check (when I get home) whether my offer says $4,000 or $8,000. Anyone want to take bets?

YULtide likes this.
  6. greek2me

greek2me Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got my offer in mail as well, for up to $4 spend. Not gotten the wife's yet. Both our cards get first anniv annual fee billed 5/1/12. Seems like a smart move on Chase and BA's part to give this incentive to keep card through the annual fee period. I will definitely do this as earning 3.75x Avios on next $4k spend is a nice incentive on top of the retention bonus.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's 2.5x total, not 2.5x bonus/3.75 total.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

8. greek2me

greek2me Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for straight scoop. Chase BA's wording on the terms is misleading, as says will earn max 10k Bonus on $4k spend, which will post 6-8 weeks after the end of promo period.

9. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    May be too late to be of use to anyone, but after I got this offer, I started putting more spend on this card (just about everything that didn't get 2x on the Sapphire preferred). About a month or so later, I was billed for the annual fee. When I called up to see what I could get in terms of a retention offer, the agent offered to waive the annual fee right away, which I immediately accepted. Not sure if I got a better offer due to my increased spend, but it's nice to get the bonus as well as no fee.

Mikus33 and daemon14 like this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually only doing the $8K spending because I got the fee waived beforehand. They are waiving it more often than the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I will end up paying an annual fee for that one, but it's still a great card.

I've actually been using the BA card in lieu of SP even at travel/dining, since 2.5 > 2 (+.14 in February). I'm actually trying to build up my BA balance for those expensive short-hauls that I need once in a while, so it's a great promo. Once I hit $8K in the next couple of days, it's going back into the drawer, and only coming out for (1) international trips as a backup to the SP and (2) NYC Michelin Dining promotion is that ever comes back up.

11. onfo

onfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 that's exactly what I'm doing as well.

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I spent the maximum. Looking forward to my account bump. :cool:

daemon14 likes this.
  13. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been 6 weeks, so I called Chase just to see where those points were. The rep couldn't find the promotion under my account! Good thing I kept the mailer.

The rep said she'll post 5K today and escalate the issue to get the remaining 5K points.

14. latvwriter

latvwriter New Member

Status Points:
    I just wanted to thank everyone for posting this. I've used this card a TON (70k worth of charges) for more than a year and I didn't get the offer. I called up Chase and asked if I could get in on the offer and they said No. If I didn't get an offer in the mail then there was nothing they could do. So I threatened to cancel the card and they waived my yearly fee and gave me 5,000 Avios. If I didn't have this post as leverage, there's no way they would've done that. Thanks, guys!!!

daemon14 likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First, welcome to MP!

Second -- $70K worth of charges? That's quite a lot! You should have earned a 2-for-1 voucher after hitting $30K, so I'd read up on how to properly use that if you are planning a trip to Europe.

If your goal is British Airways Avios, there are certainly better cards out there to earn at better rates than 1.25 Avios/$, especially if you're spending that much on the BA card. Most of us here would avoid spending more than $30K on this card per year, just because that's the threshold for the 2-for-1 voucher, and place more spending on cards that earn in Chase Ultimate Rewards and American Express Membership Rewards.

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my 10K BA today :)

KathInJax likes this.