Chase BA Success

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by SFOPeter, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's take the opportunity to have a positive perspective in this new space and also have a post that folks that are unhappy with Chase BA can see before posting. Please post your Chase BA sucesses.

I got 2 cards with my brother on a household account, earned 200K miles, spent $30K on one card for the 2:1 voucher, and transfered in some Amex MR points with the 30% bonus last December.

Booked 2 F tix ( (350 days in advance on BA.com)
    IAD-LHR-MUM-LHR-SFO for a couple of days after Christmas through the New Year.

Cost was 270K miles + $1322, or 135K miles + $661 each.

I see this as a great deal per ticket, eg a $661 coach ticket with a 135K 2 class upgrade, or a $661 + 135K UA-style Miles+Cash purchase.

This was the best mileage promotion I have ever participated in. Have not flown BA F since 2001 so am looking very forward to it.

SFOPeter

2. bhorwich

bhorwich Active Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree that the offer is the best I've taken advantage of. Did something very similar to you, although we managed 30k on both cards, so for about a year's worth of family spend, we've got 2 pairs of FC to Europe. I agree that, with the absurd fuel surcharges, it's better to think about it as buying a deep-discount coach ticket and getting a 2-class upgrade. But given BA's excellent availability in premium cabins, I'm okay with that. (Waiting to see, though, what the ability to redeem AA miles on BA transatlantic will do to that availability when it comes time to redeem the second pair of tix!)

TrueBlueFlyer likes this.
  3. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's actually a three class upgrade, as you're skipping over both WT+ and CW. And you're right about it being a great offer.

TuxTraveller likes this.
  4. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got two cards (me and the wife), each got 100,000 miles. I hit the 30K first and with some AMEX transfers, booked 2 FC tickets, NYC to Tel Aviv, for this May (had choice of a number of flights). Booked the seats in July. 195,000 miles + $1,400 for 2 First Class seats - no complaints here! The friggin better not strike!

Planning cruise to Baltics summer 2012. Will wait til August and try to snag 2 more FC tickets on my wife's account from NYC to Moscow and home from Copehnagen. Not very concerned about getting the seats I want. I'm very happy with the program and trying to decide if I should transfer a bunch of AMEX points over before the March 31 deadline for the 40% bonus.

5. ned

ned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't worry about the strike. I have flights in June, flew during the last strike, no problem!

6. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    props to BA & Chase for letting me go to SE asia for 50k miles + $150... and saving another 50k in case I need to make the trip again.

7. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just returned from my USE of this deal. Did the two cards here at home, spent the 30K per card, ended with about 280K total after all in, got two 241 certs, just spent 270K for the one F SFO_LHR (stopover) - BOM-LHR-SFO plus 1700$ in taxes, fees, fuel surcharges, etc. SERVICE was great, CCR was great, cabanas were great, only got new first on ONE flight leg though and one of the OF flights was VERY VERY OLD and dated and literally broken in many places. But, to travel to india roundtrip in such comfort and convenience in first for so little spend overall was really great.

8. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let's hope you get to experience new www.ba.com/first on these freebie flights:

[​IMG]

9. EZEIZA
    Original Member

EZEIZA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only a few posts so far and half a million BA miles have been "earned" so far. I would love to know how many miles have been given out during the course of this offer.......the figure must be huge.
    I just wonder how many of these new members will carry on flying with BA after their mile mountain has been used up......not many I reckon. I don't blame them for taking advantage of the offer though.

Globaliser likes this.
  10. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think those Chase people that redeem their miles in premium cabins for longhaul will certainly be impressed by the hard product vs. the home-grown alternatives; however, I would not be surprised if the vast majority redeem on AA domestically or in economy longhaul, and in that case there is no incentive to fly BA as a consequence of the offer.

However, having a BA credit card in the wallet, the hassle of sewitching cards, and the lure of a 2for1 voucher, can be a strong incentive to keep spending on that card - so I would say it may well get people into the habit of earning BA miles and if people build up a small stash and look into burning them on MFUs etc. it becomes very easy to start using BA as a regular carrier, and that is especially true for the West Coast where there are fewer direct options to Europe.

11. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So, here's my take. I HAD a UA CHASE card prior to signing up for this offer, which really only earned miles on UA of course. I plan to make good use of this BA CHASE card, I'll put the first 30K of spending on it every year to get the 241 voucher. I then plan to transfer AMEX MR miles to BA whenever there is a bonus to get enough for a C or F award. I'll use the BA points and 241 voucher for those bi-annual long haul trips to places like Chile, South Africa, China, etc. I'm not going to transfer all my buying and flying to AA or BA at this time in any way, but they will certainly get 30K of my spend and some of my mileage transfers. Nice thing about the BA CHASE card as well is the NO FOREIGN transaction fees. I used this card exclusively in India last month for purchases.

12. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Chase program has definitely changed my perception, as I am looking at paid J on BA this summer for a business trip instead of UA like usual.

My current card spend is to put $30K on BA, all groceries/gas on Chase UA for 2x, and everything else on SPG Amex. Plan to use Chase BA 2:1 again in 2012 and 2013 with the miles from the $30K spend and some Amex xfers.

Peter

13. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a serious quality of life upgrade.

I was doing something similar until I saw the Amex MR transfer offers. For US based BAEC people, a "Premier Rewards Gold" from Amex is rather attractive. You get 2 MR points per dollar spent in the "gas and groceries" category and 3 points per dollar spent on flights. With the current 40% bonus the transfer rate to BA is 1.4 miles per MR point -- and it isn't the first time they've offered a bonus.

The Chase BA card remains highly attractive for those first 30,000 dollars, of course.