Chase BA credit card annual fee due

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by boxergal, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My Chase British Airways Visa card annual fee is now due. Any other Chase credit cards worth pursuing, or should I just cancel the card?

2. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to continue earning BA miles, Chase Shappire Preferred might be worth considering. Currently, they offer 25,000 sign up bonus points (transferrable to BA at 1:1 rate) if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months. First year fee is waived.
    http://www.chasesapphire.com/compare-cards/

3. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any cards out there that don't charge the foreign transaction fee? That was the one benefit from the BA card that I'll miss.

4. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did cancel the BA Visa card and they didn't offer any incentive to keep the card or offer to lower the annual fee.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. The new Citi Premier card does not have a foreign transaction fee. Chase Hyatt Visa doesn't charge foreign fees either.

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Priority Club Visa has no foreign transaction fee.

7. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called once to cancel and they wouldn't offer any retention bonus. I just hung up without cancelling and called back a week later and they offer me the 5,000 BA miles most others were offered. So keep at it even if they don't offer it the first time.

8. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be careful with timing when you are planning on canceling this card. I made the mistake of waiting until I was billed the annual fee and then waiting until close to the due date for that bill, to actually cancel. Too late for me, I am now stuck with this card for another $75 for the next 12 months. The Chase CSR stated I will need to cancel next year as soon as the statement closes, in the month that the annual fee is due to avoid this happening again.

9. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got the 5k points offer. May have taken them up on it had I been within 5k of an award level. But I'm not, so I didn't.

10. worldtraveller2
    Original Member

worldtraveller2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    me too, no incentive offered, so I kept mine open, waiting on the new chase offer so that I can keep my credit limit and transfer it to another branded card

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I usually apply for a new Chase card two months or so before one with an annual fee is due. That way I can offer to "close" the "old" account to open the new one as I've been unsuccessful in getting the annual fee waived with Chase cards. I try to do 2-3 which helps spreads out my applications near the supposed "6 month" rule and allows the cards with an annual fee coming due to be replaced with a new bonus while maintaining a total of 2-3 Chase cards. Now Citi retention offers. . . that's a whole 'nother story [​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    After my partner successfully got his annual fee refunded when he closed his account, I decided to try again. 2nd attempt worked for me. My 2nd refund request was not instantly granted, I waited ~ 24-48 hours before it was approved. Thank you Chase. Now considering other Chase card options.

13. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just closed out my BA Visa after getting the Sapphire card. No retention offer.

14. Once you cancel your BA Chase card, how long until you can apply for another offer to be considered a "new" customer? Will I still be able to apply for other Chase promos? Such as Chase Sapphire Preferred?

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I know, you are a new customer if you never had a particular card. The BA card plays no role in eligibility for the Sapphire card bonus.

tondoleo and flyguy76 like this.
  16. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to cancel my BA cards before the annual fee was due. I called up today to cancel. Tried to get the card converted to a no annual fee product but because there was no card associated with BA I was SOL. I tried to ask for a waved annual fee to "reconsider" my use of the BA card but no luck. Should I try the "hank up and cal again" approach. If I keep it open should I wait to close account when I want another chase card product, cancel before application, or after application? Thanks for the help guys.

17. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also waited until the renewal was due, and paid for it because I'm waiting for a credit of$50 (from a $50 gift card purchase at a michelin-star restaurant) to post. I figured I have 60 days to cancel anyway. I called retention today. they offered me a mere 200 avios (eventually upped to 1000) to keep the card. I think I'll cancel....

YULtide and Sean Colahan like this.