Chase Application Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by particlemn, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Chase Question,

I am trying to figure out what chase cards to get next and would like some opinions.
    I am a chase checking and saving customer and had the old free united 1 mile per 2 dollars up until last January. In February I applied and got the Continental 50k first spend card. Then in May I got the British Air 100k Card. In August I canceled the Continental Card and got the sapphire preferred card for 50K( had to call reconsideration line for this one) I plan on keeping the sapphire perfered only until next July since my wife also has the card and we will only keep one and pay the fee. So should I get the Freedom card now with 30k point bonus I can roll over to the UR points? Or should I get the United 50k first purchase card that Million Mile Secretes outlined today? I was thinking of getting the freedom first since i won’t have the sapphire after July and then later in the year “hoping” the 50k offer is still there. What do you guys think? My credit score if in the 770’s if that makes a difference and I spent more than just the min spend on each card.

jbcarioca and gwhit21 like this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would get the Freedom card now and wait for the CO / UA card. Your rationale is spot on as to what may or may not happen.

IMHO, CO / UA has a promotion most of the time and I don't suspect that the 50K offer will go away soon.

3. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also think that the 50K offer will eventually really go public this year. Just my guess, but with the merger I think they will be trying to win over the CO leaning folks. Of course, the Freedom offers aren't stellar right now either, but if you think you can make use of the bonus categories then you might as well start earning those extra points! Both are good choices and I bet both offers will be around off and on throughout 2012.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also recommend Chase Freedom and use it for any small purchases under $90. Because you are a Chase checking customer you will earn 10 points extra per transaction plus if I am not mistaken some additional bonus.

jbcarioca and particlemn like this.
  5. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:

I tried starting a new thread but was unable. And this is related, and the title is close enough.

Re: Number and frequency of Chase cards. I know it's been mentioned/answered before, but I've searched and can't find the answer.

Is there a set science on the number of Chase cards, and time to wait between applications?

I got the Chase Sapphire Preferred in Oct 2011, and the Chase Marriott in Dec 2011. I now see the UA card, which is very attractive to a non-elite (free bag, couple of lounge passes, 50,000 miles at sign up, plus another 10k after $25k spend). Should I go for this now, or wait?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Have you had any other hard pulls since Oct? If so, then you should definitely wait until April. If not, you should probably wait until AT LEAST Feb or March. Even that would be pushing it. IMHO. But of course YMMV.

jbcarioca and Espan like this.
  7. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haven't had any other hard pulls since, but am thinking of going for an Amex w/in the next couple of months as well, just haven't zeroed in on a card I really want/need. Thanks for the advice.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    it seems now the best chase freedom signup I can find is 25,000 for 500 spend. Does anyone know of a better signup bonus?

jbcarioca and harvson3 like this.
  9. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is also the best one I could find - I don't think there is any better deal out there currently.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried several links for the $300/30,000 bonus recently (for a friend), and they were all dead. $250/25,000 may be your best bet at the moment.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the $300/30K for $500 spend about 4 months ago and those links don't work anymore.

I wouldn't get the card/use up an inquiry just for the bonus, but if you're planning on utilizing the Freedom 5x, it's a great sweetener.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is now a 30,000 point link working again. It is not my link, so I can't make any promises, but it appears to be functional:
    https://applynowdc1.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?SPID=DN55

13. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank You

14. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's how I'd break it down: Each bonus category allows you to get 5 points per dollar for up to $1,500. With the Chase Freedom, if you will make use of the bonus categories, you could get 7,500 points x 2 each quarter. That means you'd get 15,000 this quarter and 15,000 next quarter. Throw that on top of the 30,000 bonus and you have 60,000 points.

If you go with the United 50k offer you would get the 50k sign-up, and assuming you used it for the same spend ($1,500 x 2 each quarter), you'd earn an additional 6,000 points (at 1 point for $1 spent). That gives you a total of 56,000 United miles.

So, assuming you think you can hit the bonus categories, it makes sense to get the freedom because you'll earn more points and they will also be Chase UR points instead of United miles which gives you more flexibility should you want to use the Chase points for something other than transferring to United.

Lastly, I also believe that the United 50k offer will stick around. I'd get the Freedom assuming you can find a 30k link and plan on doing spending in the bonus categories.

particlemn likes this.
  15. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A quick secure e-mail to customer service and extra 5,000 points are already in the account (I did activate the new card only 3 days ago though).

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, if you have a Chase checking account, you'll get more points with Freedom: 10% of base spending + 10pt/transaction.

Let's say the average transaction is $20 when you spend $6000. That's 300 transactions, or 3000 points. Plus 600 for the 10%. So you get 3600 more Chase UR points.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

17. blase

blase Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip (and also thanks to MommyPoints for mentioning it on her blog). Hubby just applied for the Freedom two weeks ago and activated the card last week. (I didn't apply as I already have 5 Chase cards!!) Last night I had him secure message Chase, asking them for the additional 5000 pts. He was told that once he fulfilled his spend requirement of $500 in 93 days, he would receive the original 25000 pts as well as the additional 5000. So, not as good as your result, but we will spend $500 in no time, so it's not a big deal. Thanks!!!

miles and smiles likes this.
  18. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already met the $500 requirement, although the 25,000 did not post yet as the statement is not closed. This is why I got the 5,000 immediately.

miles and smiles likes this.
  19. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    i applied friday and got a pending, monday evening the card showed up in my online chase login so i guess i was approved, it had been 6 months and two days since my last chase application.

TAHKUCT and miles and smiles like this.
  20. askias

askias Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are we back to 25/5 for the Freedom card? The 30k link in this thread doesn't work anymore. Thanks.

21. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are approved