Chase annual fee refund policy

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by gradientdescent, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gradientdescent

gradientdescent Member

Status Points:
    Chase has a few different miles/points CC's available... and these days, I've had no luck getting annual fees waived in year #2, whereas this used to be an easy request for them to grant, alas.

My BA CC just hit its anniversary and I'm reluctant to pay the $75 fee. Haven't flown BA much, but planning to use my 100k bonus miles for a R/T this year. They offered 5,000 miles if I keep it open, which means I'm basically buying miles at 1.5cpm. Not ideal.

It occured to me however: Chase will typically refund annual fees within 60 days, or so I hear. If the 5000 bonus miles are deposited in the next few weeks, and I subsequently call to request a refund of the $75 fee, can I have my cake and eat it too?

2. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called Chase for my BA card since it's annual fee recently came up and they would not waive the fee or give me any bonus miles. I'm thinking i should cancel.

Pablo and upgrademe like this.
  3. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I canceled my card after the fee was tacked on from a hotel room in Paris.
    Nobody said a peep about why I'm canceling, they simply refunded the fee and closed the card.
    Although I did get a United Mileage Plus card to replace my BA Visa.

4. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen other people do this, but I have not. I just canceled by Chase CO and they offered me not a even a single mile.

5. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I attempted to get a fee waiver on my BA Visa. I had put a lot of spend on it in order to obtain the 241 coupon and additional needed miles. No luck. There was not even any offer of miles to stay on with the card. I concede my wussness since the card is still in my wallet. I enjoyed the benefits of the 241 coupon. I calculated that the $ 75.00 fee was not a terrific penalty.

6. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that Chase's policy for refunding annual fees is that it must be within 30 days, not 60 days.

7. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is 60 days, I received the 5k bonus and called back after it posted to "inquire" about canceling in order to obtain a refund and they told me no refund since I didn't call within 30 days. If you do call and it turns out I was misinformed, please let me know because I am still within the 60 day period.

8. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's 60 days. I was quoted that when I closed my BA card earlier this month. I wasn't offered any miles or fee waiver when I closed that card.

9. FLYERIL
    Original Member

FLYERIL Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the policy is different for different cards because I read 30 days on the most recent statement for my Southwest Visa, which I'm planning on canceling.

10. Jaguar
    Original Member

Jaguar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. When I cancelled my BA card, I was told the same thing - 60 days.

11. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious if anyone knows if Chase has changed their tactics on this since the last time it was discussed a year ago? I just had success getting Citi to give me an $85 statement credit and 750 bonus miles for $750/mo spend for 12 months and wondered if I should call asking Chase if they were willing to waive or reduce the annual fee for this year? I will be going into my 3rd year with my United MP Select Visa and do not want to get rid of it since it is no longer offered. I paid my annual fee last year because I feel this card it worth it, but I'm just curious if anyone has had any recent success dealing with Chase on waiving/reducing the annual fees?

12. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I canceled my MileagePlus card a couple of months ago, they just refunded the fee. No one cared why I was actually canceling.

13. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had numerous successes with getting Chase annual fees waived, past and present (as recently as mid last year). If declined by one agent, I call back and am normally done by the third agent. I think the possible reasons for my success is that I don't go into it with the cancellation approach. I simply go in to it stating that I am aware of the annual fee, but that I am just having a hard time justifying the fee on the card. I ask if they would be so kind to waive or reduce the annual fee as to give me more time to try out the card and see the true benefits of their product. But of course, YMMV. ;)

14. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nor do I, but my tactic is slightly different. I do go with the "I'm having a hard time justifying the fee ..." but typically lead or follow with, "... since [competitor] is offering [sign-up bonus & benefits] with no fee."

PointsCashMiles and malikguy like this.
  15. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this approach and typically use something along these lines myself. It's usually a reasonably true statement for me and seems to work on a fairly regular basis.

malikguy likes this.
  16. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a great approach Malik, and I think I'm gonna have to borrow it when it comes time for the annual review of each of my cards. Do any of these methods work with other card companies besides Chase?

malikguy likes this.
  17. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Scott, I only have fees with two companies (Chase and Citi) and this procedure seems to work well for both, but I think Ed's tactic adds a nice touch. :)

18. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just spoke to Citi today about an annual fee that just posted actually. I did my routine with a touch of "Ed" and got three options:

1) Consolidate the credit line into another card (move the credit limit from that account to another Citi card) and close the account to get a refund of the annual fee
    2) Get a refund for the annual fee (no stipulations)
    3) Get 5,000 AA miles (no stipulations) - I took this offer as the annual fee was $50 and that makes this 1 cent / mile. :)

YMMV, but good luck to all of you. PS, ask for a supervisor and be polite. ;)

PointsCashMiles likes this.