Chase 5% unlimited cashback for 6 months

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by MrPiggy, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    pyk, doc, Spangenberg and 3 others like this.
  2. This is an amazing deal. I just signed up.

Christmas came early this year

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  3. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    BTW, anyone can join AARP as an associate member even if you aren't 50 years old.

Yes, this is an amazing offer and Chase is heavily promoting it to existing AARP members and elsewhere so it is a robust offer, not like some of the Bank of America offers I've received that were intended only for the receipient.

4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you say "c[​IMG]ins?!"

5. I wish I didn't just get the CO card. 5% unlimited is making me sweat just thinking about it,

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a discussion going on about this deal at fatwallet forums. Some people are being denied because they have already received too many rewards/bonuses from Chase. I've applied, but haven't heard yet if I'm approved or not.

buschoi likes this.
  7. techboyds
    Original Member

techboyds Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like we're going to need to be more careful with Chase from now on. They were the first to crack down hard on churning (United Visa, I hardly knew ye...), and now it appears that they're cracking down on people that sign up just for bonuses, even across accounts.

To keep the gravy train going, it's probably going to be necessary to keep accounts open longer, apply less often, and use the accounts more for regular activity.

Nobody wants to be blacklisted by Chase... it seems like these days they run 95% of the interesting cards.

8. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    same here, looks like over at FW if you wait till you get the card, (but DONT activitate) and apply for the AARP and get denied, offer to close the CO Card, and you should get approved.

buschoi likes this.
  9. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    buschoi likes this.
  10. privateer
    Original Member

privateer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll have to get more creative if you want to turn over your limit. Think more of the CashReturns that no longer exists.

Spangenberg likes this.
  11. RKG
    Original Member

RKG Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. This sounds like a good offer. I had recently closed a couple of cc accounts and this may be a good one to apply for now.

12. skofarrell
    Original Member

skofarrell Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer. Have got 3 chase cards now, there's no way they'll give me a 4th. I want to keep the others (CO, Hyatt, BA).

13. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to wait till some report what happens when their statement closes. There is some tricky wording about prior rewards programs. I would make sure that everyone that is approved is indeed receiving 5%.

14. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    any update on the card? had anyone gotten it yet?

buschoi likes this.
  15. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many reports of receiving the card. CSR confirms the 5% for 6 months for whatever that is worth. Remember this is for the first 6 billing cycles. Once you get the card you want to change your monthly closing date to maximize your six billing cycles.

16. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the denial letter, because of my recent opening of the CO 50K offer. I offered to cancel it and move my CL to the AARP card and the CSR said ok. Weird thing though, he said if he canceled the card, all miles posted and pending would be forfeited. I reluctantly said okay (hadn't really used it that much). I had a CL of $5,400 on the CO Card, btu the CSR wouldn't say how much would be moved over or what CL the AARP card would have. He also couldn't confirm the 5% cash back. Said I would have to wait for the card to come 7-10 days. So Can i realistically expect the 5% cash back for the first 6 months? Is it possible that they would move over the entire CL? Or give me a new limit (possibly lower? Higher?)

Tenmoc and buschoi like this.
  17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got denied for this card two weeks ago because of receiving so many bonus credit cards from Chase recently (UA in April, CO in May, PC in Nov.) I canceled my UA card before I applied as I intended to cancel it soon anyway. After the denial, I thought about things for a while and realized that I don't have much of a relationship with Chase. All I've been doing is milking them for bonuses in recent months, using my Chase cards the minimum. And I've never had anything to do with Chase before last year.
    Since I anticipate wanting to apply for more Chase cards in the future, I have decided to keep my two Chase cards, use them and apply for more later.
    YMMV

buschoi likes this.
  18. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Statements have closed and 5% has been paid.

miles and smiles likes this.
  19. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree to play carefully with Chase, especially with the potential coins purchase. Chase has been known for closing all accounts (including deposit and credit accounts) due to "unintended use" and blacklisting people. Once one is blacklisted, no one has ever been able to come out clean and successfully applied for any account, not even deposit account AFAIK. Given that Chase offers a wide variety of travel cards now, I would be extremely careful with maintaining a good long-term relationship rather than ripping some short term benefits. It is not worth it IMHO.

Talking about relationship, I agree with miles and smiles to slowly build that up. I have not had long relationship with Chase either, and my Chase-BA Visa application that took Chase an entire two months to approve in late 2009 reminded me to do it slow and safe with Chase. So I consistently used the Visa, built up some good track record, and scored the IHG Priority Club Visa in last November, double dipping the 60K application bonus and the crack the case promo. Since then, I canceled the BA card, but I continue to use the IHG Visa for various purchases although the IHG reward is not world class. I have planned to keep the IHG Visa for a long time since the annual one-night free cert itself is more than paying off the annual fee. I have really wanted to get in for the CO card, but figured I should play it safe for now. Who knows if they will run another crazy card promo for 100K miles soon, and I want to be in a position to jump in immediately in that case.

Spangenberg and miles and smiles like this.
  20. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like travel expenses are paying 7% (3% base + 4% bonus). I am amazed at the little attention this card is getting. The mindset here seems too be stuck on one thing.

osiriuso likes this.
  21. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a minimum of almost $1000 profit. Wow. Awesome deal - too bad I can't get another Chase card for a while!

22. MrPiggy
    Original Member

MrPiggy Active Member

Status Points:
    Very nice tip, thanks. Well this is the Miles and Points website so it is probably fair to assume people here might be blinded to the value of cold hard cash.

23. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very true!

24. osiriuso

osiriuso Active Member

Status Points:
    I had just applied for the CO card otherwise I'd be all over this! I told my Mom & Dad about this card and told them to apply.

25. Quiet Lion
    Original Member

Quiet Lion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Phenomenal! Just applied.