Chase 25K Continental mile offers -- will they come back?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by MGU, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MGU

MGU

Do you think Chase will bring back their 25K Continental mile checking account offers any time soon?

2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since they have slated to end the free baggage benefit of the debit card and Chase has phased out the CO debit card, the signs point to no.

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not.. We may see some CO/UA offers, later this year.

4. WanderLuster
    Original Member

WanderLuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn! I knew I should have got in on that game before it went away. I have definitely not been as strategic as I should have been about getting CO miles ahead of the upcoming merger.

5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can also waive the CO Checking Account fee by having direct deposit at $500+. Most jobs with direct deposit let you split the deposit over multiple accounts.

7. benchik
    Original Member

benchik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last I heard, all major banks are discontinuing the airline branded debit cards due to regulatory changes. This is not as a result of the UA/CO merger. (I don't remember the source.)

8. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you obtained :)ne of these cards solely for the miles, make sure to cancel before the annual renewal date!

9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was at a Chase branch and was told by a rep that there would be more fees on accounts unless certain minimum transactions(like $500 direct deposits) are made due to the passage of the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill.

10. chitownflyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And make sure to keep the account open for a minimum of 6 months( 7 months to be on the safe side) to keep the miles from the promo.

11. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in fact Chase has stopped offering any sort of rewards debit card (including their own Chase Ultimate Rewards, I think it was called). The new restrictions on swipe fees, that previously paid for the rewards debit programs, led to this demise. If you go to the "Debit Card" products on Chase.com, it's just a generic page about how wonderful their debit card is...no more selections of various airline, Disney, etc debit cards.

I already had multiple Chase accounts and didn't want to mess with trying to do the 25K CO checking thing last year. However we did switch our United debit card to the Continental debit card last month, just to get the small signup bonuses for doing so. I read - I think on FT - that existing rewards cards would still earn points/miles through this June or July. I guess after that you just fall back to a regular debit card?