Chase "1K Annual Bonus Credit"

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by mht_flyer, Apr 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just looking at my Chase MP Expl card online (former OnePass Plus)

Apparently I just got a 60.00 refund labeled as:

"1K Annual Bonus Credit"

Is this a new benefit?

2. lightangel

lightangel Silver Member

Status Points:
    The benefit has been there for a while.

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume only on UA side, never got this on CO.

Very nice!

NYCUA1K, perryplatypus and genemk2 like this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also did not know about that benefit -- very nice surprise.

5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw that on my card. Useful when the annual fee is 65.00 IIRC.

6. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I received this today; I was expecting it because I have a legacy UA Plat Visa. They were very late on this; it normally comes right after the annual fee is charged. When I called about mine in January, the Chase CS rep told me that UA was delaying the reimbursement, because they had extended everyone's 2011 MP status. I was also told that it would be fixed in March when they did the cutover. Well, we know how that has shaken out, but at least they have the CC reimbursement up and running now.

Time to move on to the next squeaky wheel topic of Plat and 1K Global Entry reimbursement? :p

7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    They used to give you $140 for the United Chase Visa. But as with most things related to the merger, that benefit has been watered down to the $60. But it sounds like the OnePass members will like this change as CO offered $0.

8. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    By which you mean, they gave $140 to grandfathered individuals. For those of us who weren't grandfathered, we were already receiving $60 before the merger so no change for me.

9. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the "you" referenced in my post was referring to changes effecting grandfathered individuals.

10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that was because the old annual fee used to be that high. I know they dropped the annual fee on my United Select Visa Card to $95, which may be why the benefit dropped to $60.

11. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, they are still charging $140 for the annual fee, but the new United only provides the $60 credit.

12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

A long-standing (PMUA) benefit of the Chase "Signature" Visa is that the associated $60 annual fee would be waived as long as one maintains the 1K status, and it has happened every year, like clockwork. Could this 1K Annual Bonus Credit, therefore, simply be the waived Annual Fee? Strangely enough, although I have the Chase MP Expl card, I have no idea whether it imposes an annual fee and, if so, how much it is...:oops: Does anyone know? (I suspect it is $60).

13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:

I am confused about the confusion... I'd love to get enough miles for 1K specifically for that benefit so I would not question keeping my United card as much

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ult.aspx?SID=536216DFA9FC4E5688C3496A590A3468

See last line in Fee Waivers and Discounts: "$60 statement credit for MileagePlus Chase Credit Card Cardmembers"

The annual fee is not $60, but $95

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll pay $35.00 out of pocket.

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that what 95 minus 60 equals to?! :)

16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that for the regular Visa Signature, the annual fee is $60.00, which is waived full by this credit bonus and it is automatic as long as one is 1K. If the annual fee Visa Explorer Signature is $95, then the card member is indeed responsible for the difference. However, looking at the Mileage Plus Choices Program T&C for the Explorer card (https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com/Cardmember/ChoicesTerms.jsp), where it says:

it is unclear whether 1Ks receive credit for the FULL annual fee (i.e., $95) or just $60, which is the annual fee for the non-Explorer Visa Signature. Since I have both, I wonder if, as 1K, I get this annual fee bonus for both...

17. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's a question; forgive the attitude that is likely to come through loud and clear...

So, if I nominate Mrs. PhlyingRPh for 1K status, which incidentally I did so some weeks ago, and I think it's now fair to conclude that bugger-all progress in this matter has transpired since, well, is she also now eligible for the 1K credit on any new or existing UA branded credit card account she might open?

18. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you getting that? Which United card has $60 annual fee? I think you are talking about the old cards which are nowhere to be found even on United's own site anymore.

We are talking about a $60 credit you get for being a 1K member while holding a United Card. And you are quoting a portion of agreement having to do with using your miles to pay for the annual fee.

Relevant quote:

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:

Exactly. I am talking about the United Mileage Plus Visa Signature that I have had for a number of years (it does not have a "Member since" on it so I do not know how long I have had it), long before the Explorer. The annual fee was $60 (I do not even know whether or not it changes since) and it was waived every year maintained my 1K. I believe that it is the same thing with the Explorer, except that it does not seem to cover the entire annual fee ($95). So, it seems to me like when the Explorer was introduced, the $60 benefit for 1Ks was continued rather than introducing another benefit that would have covered the entire annual fee. Tradition continued, that is all it is...

A distinction without a difference: The reason 1Ks are not "allowed" to pay the annual fee under the Choices Program is because it is already paid or waived (at least part of it already is)! My annual fee used to be paid (waived) on the NON-EXPLORER Visa signature...it might still be but I do not pay attention anymore...

20. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad we agree. That's the information that my first link has provided, so it's not really much of a guess.

You used that program to show that it's unclear whether 1Ks get $60 or $95. United's own site shows that you get $60. That is all that's relevant to OP's question.

21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the relevant bit that is being overlooked is that none of these cards are free. UA just has an agreement with Chase that they would pick up the tab...except that they got cheap when it came to the Explorer. So, this "bonus" is just the annual fee that the card member would have paid, anyway, except that if you are 1K, UA pays it for you....partially for the Explorer since they got cheap.

It is just the good ol' membership, fee waived...no mystery at all.

22. RapidTravelChai

RapidTravelChai Silver Member

Status Points:
    I became 1K in July and recently contracted Chase why I had not received the credit this year. They have responded that only issue it for those members 1K as of April in the calendar year. Not that I can find, or they can produce, any documentation specifying this.