Charlotte NC Usairways lounge review

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by lapointdm, Aug 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the unexpected bonuses of my unfortunate flight escapes was I ended up with a three hour layover in Charlotte, NC with the opportunity to try out a US airways lounge. I have an AA Executive Mastercard from Citi that provides lounge access. I used my tablet in the airport and went to citi's website and looked up my benefits on my card and I was able to get to the lounge info and verify there was a lounge I could use in charlotte which was a Usairways lounge not american (There were actually 2 lounges but I went to the larger of the 2 between C and D gates)

The lounge has a grand entrance all wood and glass doors. After walking down the ramp there is a large desk. I was assisted by a desk agent and she asked for my credit card (which I did not have on me - not expecting I would need that lounge access) after talking to her some more she would let me in I have had my awards number which I did. Thank you awardwallet and tablet! She let me immediately in.

The space is very large (could seat well over a hundred), with comfy chairs and tables between then with lamps and charging areas. There was a large overhead dome and you could stay in side away from the outside or sit by an outside window and have a good view of the runway. It was breakfast where there was a mix of instant oatmeal, apples and oranges, bagels, and a variety of snacks (pretzels filled with peanut butter, couple of trail mix types). The piest de resistance was the coffee maker with a lot of variety and it could make lattes .I proceeded to make myself a latte and it was pretty decent. There was also a decent wine selection and beer but being the morning I didn't indulge.

For entertainment there was large tvs with the news on, many free magazines (not great but something to read), plane watching, and people watching. The wifi was very fast and better than most of the non premium wifi in other airlines. There was business areas for even quieter more secluded work and desks. Also the bathrooms were empty and reasonably clean. The lounge was not very full and it was quite and I enjoyed munching my breakfast, and scrolling through my ipad.

I left right as the lunch snakes came out. They were bags of healthy chips like sweet potato and multigrain cracker like chips. They kept the fruit from the morning, and they also had some caramel biscuit cookie like things (pirouet?). The lunch food looked worse than the breakfast for selection. There was options to order food for money at the bar.

For someone who has never been at a lounge before I can say it has a lot of benefits compared to the normal airport area such as good wifi, better seating, and free food and beverages, however, I'm not convinced that this lounge without lounge access from the credit card would be worth paying a separate pass for it. It was nice but not awesome and I did find myself slightly wishing I had opted to pay for breakfast than eat it in the lounge due to more choice and quality of food. certainly if I was in a similar situation and had my credit card still I would definitely do the same again!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    Flyer1976, vickers and Newscience like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've been in that lounge a few times. I wouldn't say I love or hate it. I think the main big room is a bit unruly at busy times but I've been able to find a quiet place here and there on the sides.

zshanlon and MX like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a US Air lounge pass with their credit card. I have a 3+ hour layover in Charlotte. I was planning on using my pass on this upcoming trip. I am flying US Air, but I booked the flight with my American AAdvantage number. Will getting in be a problem?

zshanlon likes this.
  4. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They only care if you show them your credit card or pass. They only needed my frequent flyer number because I didn't have my credit card on me. I think you should be fine!

vickers likes this.
  5. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't think so. Your lounge pass has your Dividend Miles number on it and you can let them verify it while checking in. They seem to have the ability to swap out AA and US FF numbers very easily so I don't anticipate them giving you much flack and I don't see any reason why you wouldn't also be able to credit those miles to AAdvantage.

vickers likes this.
  6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You should be fine. Using the AA card in a US lounge doesn't populate an Aadvantage number so they will usually ask for it. Doesn't matter to which program you're crediting the flights.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The US Lounge in CLT is one of my favorite Airport Lounges. :)