Charlie Trotter Is Closing Chicago Restaurant in 2012

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Infinite1K, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always wonder why good chefs sully their name with airlines??

Thank you for sharing this. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the US. I will make it out for one final visit!

Scottrick likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would rather not have a celebrity chef associated with the food I get on a plane. It's still airplane food. Do you really think a celebrity chef is going to make it suddenly palatable? It's not like the FA is going to be able to implement some molecular gastronomy creation on your plate with liquid nitrogen 35K feet in the air. All the possible tricks to make food taste and look better on a plane are available to ordinary chefs. Rather than waste money and time branding dishes with some celebrity's name, I would rather UA focus on making good food. Even simple dishes like the hot turkey and cheese I got last week would be twice as good (or half as awful :eek: ) if they were served with some fresh lettuce and tomato.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) What the heck does this have to do with the airline??

2) CO had a "Congress of Chefs" to lend big names to their BF meals for a long time, too. The assertion that the "homogenized/standardized food offerings" are somehow not related to having a big name involved is pretty ludicrous. Oh, and many other airlines have a similar relationship with some big names.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And if that could keep long enough to be prepped, transported, prepped again and served it is more likely that such would happen. Sadly, however, fresh veggies simply do not keep well in the mess that is airline catering.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, I didn't read the article, but assumed Trotter would now be dedicating himself full-time to United ;)

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, he wants to go to graduate school to study Philosophy and Political Theory. Which I think is just amazingly cool.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall having fresh veggies with my CO cheeseburger. It seems doable.

mht_flyer and ssullivan like this.
  9. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Save the money on celebrity names and rather invest it in the food. I can't remember the last time I had a good meal on UA and the ones I tend to like the least were the ones with Trotter's name on them.
    Give me a sandwich and a soup and I am way happier then the fancy stuff they try to do with not much success.

10. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Scott I totally understand what your saying, But I am going to have to disagree with you. It was sort of a Neat touch. Though people flying in international Buisness or First class don't really want simple. the Gourmet touch Is somthing that is lost with the US airlines for the most part. The domestic catering is really bad scott. I think it is an area for improvement.

I agree that a lot of the time it is the simple thjings that are totally lacking that give a negative impression. I would enjoy a deeper discussion on this

11. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the CO catering provides a bit more of the "extras"

I had a good dinner on CO last week.

12. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO does do a good job of handling that for the cheeseburgers in both F and Y.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Good for him!

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Like that famous wine dude, Doug Frost, who got to pick out the $10 wines for business class? ;)

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    They're not mutually exclusive. I cannot imagine that the cash involved being paid to the chefs is so great that it is eating into the per meal spend rate.
    People want good. As in food that actually tastes like what they are claiming it to be. Whether it is "Charlie Trotter's famous steak sauce" or "steak sauce" matters much less.

Then again, I've never understood the seeming obsession with the Trader Vic's meals to Hawaii as I didn't see them as much different than simply choosing to provide catering that represents the destination. Most airlines seem to do that just fine without a brand name attached.

mht_flyer likes this.
  16. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If anyone wants to remember, the Trotter-designed UA meals got some
    of the most scathing notices; they were viewed by many (including me)
    as worse than the non-branded selections.

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's just say I was never a fan of Trotter or his dishes... The same sentiment is shared towards Doug Frost but when an Airline is price-conscious in the profit margin what do you expect The Trotters and Frosts of the world to do? Pick $7.99 Swill and a budget-able meal.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's all just marketing, whether Trotter or Vic. I always imagined that Trotter is about as involved in the preparation of the United meals as Wolfgang Puck had his hands on the frozen pizzas I pull out of my oven.