Charleston, SC and surrounding area - please share photos and more

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by miles and smiles, Mar 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since Charleston is a place with so much history, I'll start with the 1500 year old Angel Oak. I've been visiting and enjoying it since I was a kid.

100_0155.jpg

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's the Dock Street theater, now more than 200 years old (and renovated since this picture was taken). I've attended many performances there and my high school graduation.
    Dock Street.jpg

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's the Rutledge House, built in 1763 by one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and now a B & B (and my schoolhouse for two years in the early 1960s).

Rutledge House.jpg

4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's a sunset from Folly Beach, one of the many beaches near Charleston (and the one I hang out at the most).

Folly Sunset.jpg

General_Flyer, 2soonold and Gargoyle like this.
  5. Great pictures! I'll be going to Charleston for the first time in a few months, looking forward to it. Any tips on restaurants? Only requirement is not too fancy since we'll have our 1 year old son with us.

6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I like Hominy Grill - southern cooking with a modern twist. Casual, mid-priced and should be fine for a little one.
    http://hominygrill.com/
    Spring is a great time to visit Charleston. I'll be down there again soon (and will take more pictures).

jmrich1432 and General_Flyer like this.
  7. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have booked a weekend in May to take my mother to Charleston (60th b-day) and have a room at The French Quarter Inn and dinner reservation at Magnolia's. Sound good? I really want to pick the best I can for this trip since it's for mom.

Also, I'm an SC native, have lived in Charleston and have visited countless times. However, being a former resident, I don't normally stay in hotels. Most of the time I've stayed with friends or family. So, I know my way around very well but I'm not used to really looking at it from a hotel/tourist view. Mom only live about 100 miles from Charleston now but we still love to take day trips there and thought it would be a nice little getaway that would be easy for both of us.

8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hi Jenn,

I'm in the same boat as you in that I don't stay in hotels. I believe that I've stayed in a Charleston hotel/motel twice in my life and neither was downtown. I hope to make it back to the beach in two weeks. Have fun!

General_Flyer likes this.
  9. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to give this thread a quick bump. I am working to plan a mini-DO in Charleston this year and am about to start the planning of figuring out the date and activities. If anyone would like to be included in this conversation, post up and let me know.

I'm really looking forward to this!

10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Let me know what your plans are and how I can help. My friend there is a locations expert (for photo shoots and films) and can help find stuff if we need something special. Please don't plan anything for mid-summer when it's so hot and humid. My next Charelston area visit will probably be in late March.

General_Flyer and autolycus like this.
  11. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    And make sure to check the local event calendar. There are some big weekends there that have the hotels all jam packed and expensive. Bridge Run weekend has a lot going on and is a bad weekend to be there unless you're there for the run.

12. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
  13. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few pictures from one of Charleston's hidden gems - Hampton Park. I say "hidden" because it is rarely mentioned in tourists guides and because it is not downtown. It's even more beautiful in spring:

Live Oak Hampton.JPG Hampton's Pond.JPG

2soonold likes this.
  14. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is a picture of downtown Charleston and the harbor taken from Ft. Johnson area Harbor - Copy.jpg . A unique view of the city, even for a native. (Picture was taken just as morning fog was lifting):

2soonold likes this.
  15. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh I just love Charleston! I was fortunate to be on a work project there for 13 weeks in late 2010. Great restuarants! Here's a shot of the bridge at sunset from a public beach near Ft. Moultrie on Sullivan's Island. We were out there eating at a restaurant called "Poe's." Cute tavern with tavern food (okay) and decorated with everything Edgar Allen Poe!

Attached Files:

miles and smiles likes this.
  16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here is a music video by Darius Rucker (of Hootie and the Blowfish) with some amazing footage of Charleston. Darius is a Charleston native (still lives there) and this is from his album Charleston, SC 1966. A good friend of mine was the location finder for the video.

jmrich1432 likes this.
  17. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here is a current photo of the Morris Island Lighthouse with the Arthur Ravenel Bridge in the background (to the left) and I got close to a dolphin today with walking on the northeast end of Folly Beach
    SDC10692.JPG SDC10724 - Copy.JPG

18. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    wasn't Darius/Hootie discovered at some place on the beach on Isle of Palms? went to some big plantation and charleston/isle/mt pleasant last May for a friend's wedding and it was nice. downtown was a cluster, tho!

miles and smiles likes this.
  19. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Darius lives in Mt. Pleasant, on the way out to Sullivan's Island, so it is likely he would be spotted around town.