Chargesmart.com

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sicemdawgs, Aug 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was wandering if anyone has used Charge Smart to pay their bills? I have the Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve and want to pay my car payments for two months so I can get the $2,500 spending bonus (free weekend nights). If anyone can give feedback (legitimate, is it considered credit card purchase and not cash advance, etc.). I do know they charge a fee. Thanks everyone.

flyingdawg and marcwint55 like this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    be careful with Citi as they are notorius for determining that anything and everything is a cash advance.

sicemdawgs likes this.
  3. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads-up Marc. Charge Smart says that all payments are done by ACH transfer, so I am worried that it might look like a cash advance and not a credit card "purchase".

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently did the Nationwide Buxx card and for a $500.00 card purchase they charged me $25.00 cash advance fee and $1.16 interest. I was not too happy with them and I should have known better as I have had problems with them in the past. I am not certain, but I do think your ACH will generate a cash advance fee and interest charges. The other thing that sucks is you don't get any miles or points for the transaction.

MX and sicemdawgs like this.
  5. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, without the purchase threshold, it would not do me any good. Thanks again.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used Chargesmart for over a year now to pay both my car notes with no issues. They have relatively high fees for "large" transactions but it's all disclosed up front before you get charged... in my case I was paying between $15-20 for transactions up to $800.

The only real "catch" as I can see is that the merchant has to be on their list (which some are not, especially small regional utilities). And you're mostly correct on the ACH transfer bit... they charge your card as a purchase, then do an ACH transfer to the merchant you're paying, similar to using bill pay with a bank.

In my case I had no issues with any of the miles posting to my cards or the bills being paid, but just like bill pay / ACH they charge you right away and they make the payment a day or two later, so keep that in mind if you're doing "time sensitive" stuff.

flyingdawg and sicemdawgs like this.
  7. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Viguera. Both car companies are on their drop down menu. I really do appreciate the explanation.

8. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    From one Dawg to another....Welcome to MP !

sicemdawgs and viguera like this.
  9. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Thanks Dawg.:D

flyingdawg likes this.
  10. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have used my Citi AA card x2 to pay my mortgage and it went through as a purchase. Usually use it to hit all my spends. I rather pay the nominal fee and get the bonuses on things I normally don't earn points like mortgages.

sicemdawgs and viguera like this.
  11. sicemdawgs

sicemdawgs Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Glad to know Citi considers it a purchase.