Channel 9 interesting stories & reports

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Steve GadFly, Sep 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    With more people defecting from TOBB to avoid all the :rolleyes:, I thought it was time to start a Channel 9 thread over here. Please post your stories and experiences regarding Channel 9. I'll start things off with what I heard while taxiing in after today's arrival:

Very interesting to listen to Channel 9 on my CLE-EWR flight tonight (UA523). I noticed emergency trucks waiting near 4R and when we switched to tower frequency, I heard them talking to a Citation that was landing 3 slots behind us. No word on what the problem was since they were probably on a different frequency when they discussed it but the pilot told ATC that whatever it was "would probably be a non-event but thanks for the extra precautions." While we were waiting to cross 4L, I saw him come in and other than a slightly longer than normal roll-out, it looked like a normal landing.

After the Citation headed over to Signature under it's own power, the tower told the trucks to wait in place because a FedEx MD11 with hydraulic failure was landing three slots later. We had already crossed 4L at that point so I didn't get to see the landing but it sounded like there were no issues other than the plane needing to be towed in.

On the way off, I thanked the pilot for the chance to listen (I think a "thank you" goes a long way to letting the flight crews know we DO like to listen in and appreciate it when they let us).

Flyer1976, COFlyerCLE, mo26 and 2 others like this.
  2. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea, my experiences lately on channel 9 have been hit and miss for me, but will post when I have the opportunity to listen to channel 9:)

mo26 and Steve GadFly like this.
  3. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do this every time, for precisely those reasons. :)
    Unfortunately with the rapid retirements of the sUA 757s and the airbii reconfigs that (at least for now) kill Ch9, the opportunities for domestic Ch9 listening might get kinda scarce for at least the short term. :(

mo26 and sfo1 like this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back when SARS was the rage, on a 777 flight from DEN-ORD, captain alerted ATC of a sick passenger on the plane. ATC asked whether the captain wished to declare an emergency. Captain declined. Controller said he was talking to his supervisor, and the supervisor ordered the emergency declaration. Captain and controller were discussing whether to land on 4R or 10. ATC requested the condition of the passenger and symptoms. Captain was replying, that's when Channel 9 went dark.

Passenger, of course, was in the very last row of the airplane. We were ordered to stay on board. About a dozen firemen, some police and suits boarded the plane and wheeled the woman out.

We ended up sitting at the gate, some people called it a quarantine, for about 30 minutes. Then we were released. The sick passenger didn't speak English, so the figuring out the situation might have been slowed down by a little bit.

rggale and mo26 like this.
  5. austin_res

austin_res Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my first experience with Channel 9 on a IAH-SEA flight. Most interesting part was the landing in SEA phase. The control tower at SEA switched the runway for our flight about 10 minutes before touchdown.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can guess what played a role in that.

When Seattle built the third runway, 16R/34L, it was on the condition it was to only be used when absolutely necessary (weather, capacity, whatever). My guess is that ATC had a lot of traffic, maybe weather played a role too, and they tried to avoid using the third runway.

7. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two 757 flights this past weekend, neither had Ch 9 operating. I was going to write a rant about what's the necessity of installing Ch 9 in the fleet if it isn't turned on but what would be the point :(.

On the other hand, the TV on the 737's now has a route map of where the flight has been and is currently located. That is new for me (but then flying out of the hublet affords me little opportunity to be on "grown up" airplanes :rolleyes:

rggale, Flyer1976 and bmg42000 like this.
  8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    5 of the last 7 Airbuses and 737s I've been flying lately (including a brand new 737-900) didn't even have in flight entertainment. The one flight that had it had the audio broken in my seat row. Otherwise,I'm sure I'd have some interesting stories to share. The one leg that did have it was pretty standard fare.

sfo1 likes this.
  9. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funniest Channel 9 thing I ever heard last Friday (Jan 31) while tuned into Seattle ramp. The morning shift guy (you'll recognize his voice) is talking to Frontier flight 242 heading to Denver.

Ramp: "Frontier 242. I have a message for you. Let me know when you have pen & paper ready."
    Frontier pilot: "Ok. Go ahead. Frontier 242."
    Ramp: "Frontier 242. Write this down. G O <space> H A W K S."
    Frontier pilot: sounds like he's ROFL he was laughing so loud into the radio.
    Ramp: "Frontier 242. With that message you are clear to push, tail north."

I wish LiveATC had Seattle ramp in their list so I could get the recording.

-Rob

10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    /\ now that is just funny

Sent using a small piece of fruit.