Changing passport details for Global Entry: Fast and Easy

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by jbcarioca, Dec 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the first time since GE exists I had to renew my US passport. Entering the new data was simple and almost instant. The new one is already registered in the system and worked the first time out. I thought it could not be so easy, but it is.

They asked for other passport information so I entered my Brazil data too. I do not know why they want that for sure, but an immigration officer standing by as I arrived this time said that the idea was to permit showing only the foreign passport for US departures at some future date. Maybe, but...

Another kudo for the system on the passport update!

2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same experience a few months back. The wife and I frequently use global entry and it is priceless.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news - just had a horrible day renewing my passport and nice to know that something about this will be easy. (I "recovered" my signin info but was waiting until I "recovered" enough to tackle it tomorrow, nice to know it will be easy).

4. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was super easy for me as well; when my new passport arrived I entered the info into GOES and then on my next trip I left my bags in the LAX T4 FL and walked out to the TBIT where an officer activated my passport (and put a Global Entry sticker in it) with no muss no fuss and no waiting.

desamo, Kalboz, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's just as easy with NEXUS too, although you're still supposed to pop into a NEXUS office to show them your new passport. However, you can use GE privileges immediately after updating GOES.

desamo, Kalboz, HiIslands and 4 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I probably should have said GOES makes it easy rather than GE, but GE is my only GOES use so I forgot. I found it interesting taht the visit to the office is clearly optional, but maybe that sticker is worthwhile. I do not know.

IDGflygirl, PhotoJim and marcwint55 like this.
  7. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The agent told me that he needed to enroll my passport and that it was more than just the sticker. He did some typing into a computer.

Kalboz, IDGflygirl and jbcarioca like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the only purpose of the sticker is to be able to easily show GE membership if the kiosks are down or send you to the officer in the nearby (crew?) line.

IDGflygirl, TAHKUCT and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    So did I but...
    This suggests that YMMV. Thus, I'll drop in next time I go to the US and get my sticker, just in case.

anabolism and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just for the sake of the archive, while the visit might be optional for GlobalEntry, it's not optional for NEXUS. NEXUS members who have both services (which is all NEXUS users whose fingerprints are on file) won't have the NEXUS side of their memberships until they update their passport information at a NEXUS office.

Kalboz, anabolism and jbcarioca like this.
  11. canflyergirl

canflyergirl Active Member

Status Points:
  12. slickvik

slickvik Active Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure about this? I updated my passport in the IAH global entry enrollment center yesterday. I hope I don't have to go to a NEXUS office to update NEXUS as well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I visited an office to get a new sticker for GE a few months ago and was told they were doing away with them (I got one from the "last" roll they had so they said)

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we were interviewed in SEA in May, and got the approval letter where were no stickers included, but since we interviewed in SEA we did get the ?NEXUS? Card for land travel into Canada (could be a different card) included for free...

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    My two last GE arrivals required manual intervention because my fingerprints wet not recognised. Thus I was reminded that I must be very careful were I place my fingers and that they should have no greasy residue at all and taht the screen itself should be wiped if it is visibly smudged. So, I remind everyone else also. Now that the machines are more heavily used, I was told, the machines do become more smudged. A tissue will travel with me from now on.

estnet likes this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or if you have poor fingerprints like me this is a common occurrence:( The worst was when some Id***t put me in SECONDARY b/c he didn't know how to process me (even tho he was in the GE line) AND kept telling me that I was doing it wrong b/c the machine works (well he didn't follow my suggestion to look at my record to see that 99% of the time my fingerprints weren't able to be read)