Changing non-refundable ticket purchased with e-cert

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently bought a domestic ticket on united.com. Paid about $50 via CC and $250 via a customer service e-cert (i.e., total cost $300).

Looks like I need to change the flight. Will I lose the value of the certificate in the process, i.e., will I end up with a value of $50 and pay a $150 change fee?

If not, how does the expiration date of the e-cert figure into this situation? It was "use/fly by May 8" and my new flight will likely be past that date.

Thanks!

2. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be the value of the ticket (regardless of means paid) minus $150.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, gpaya and DIG/R_1K.

I actually just discovered that I had cleverly saved the T&Cs for the certificate into a pdf file last year. It has these paragraphs that I think confirm that I'll lose the $250 value:

23. Changes: Rules of the fare determine if changes are permitted. If changes are allowed, there may be service charges and fess associated with a change. You will receive the value of the discounted ticket, less any of the aforementioned service charges and/or fees towards the purchase of a new ticket.

24. Refunds: This discount is non-refundable; once used, the discount will not be reissued for future use. Any refund due is based on the amount actually paid minus any service fees. The discount may not be applied toward the purchase of another ticket when exchanging or refunding your original ticket, except when the original ticket qualifies for a reduced fare (guaranteed airfare rule applies). Check with United.

Time to start praying for a schedule change :-(

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? Great way to completely negate any good-will they may have gained by handing out the customer service e-cert in the first place.

5. higal
    Original Member

higal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes they make exceptions...;)