Changing from Standard to Saver Award at the Last Minute?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Explore, Feb 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you can SDC saver award space from one flight to another if the saver booking class comes up for the preferred flight. But how often does that happen within 3 hours of flight time, vs. revenue fare buckets? Can you then cancel the standard award space you've already holding on the preferred flight?

And Scenario 2, when holding saver award space on another flight and trying to go STANDBY (not SDC) on your preferred flight, where are you on the list - at the bottom of your status level but ahead of the next status level for all bookings in M class or below? Will the system even allow you to go saver award standby if you already hold standard award space for that flight?

Thanks.....

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't The Points Guy try this (moving from Standard to Saver space)? IIRC, it almost blew up in his face.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done it and it worked fine, but it was several days out and on UA metal.

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've also SDCed award space to a later booking when we came back from Guatemala. Fee wasn't SDC fee, but the close-in award change fee, fwiw.

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    TPG tried it as the flight was boarding. I'm on a mobile device so finding the link is a pain.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but he tried to change and reissue a ticket with about 7 minutes to spare before the check-in cutoff hit. Not so smart, really. He even acknowledged that and then continued to blame UA for screwing up his ticket and bullied an agent into giving him an OpUp.

If you can book the new one then cancel the old one no big deal. Otherwise I wouldn't try to swap them.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's just too late.

8. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's just bad behavior on his part. :(

It's okay to swap them if you have more time, though. I swapped out a few segments while I was traveling.

9. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago I did it changing from standard business to saver first after I was already checked in about 90 minutes before the flight left. Tried it first in the RCC but they didn't want to do it but then the 1K hotline helped out and issued a new ticket and canceled the old one.
    It was an emergency (funeral) and the only ticket at booking was a standard award.