Changing from AAnytime to MileSaaver & Refunding Mileage Award

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by filelover, Feb 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello

I had a couple of questions that I wasn't sure about that I was hoping someone could confirm for me. I am a Plat just short of getting to EP.

1. I am assuming you can change from an AAnytime to a MileSaaver if the inventory opens up close in (in my scenario it is closed). Is there a fee to do so? My assumption was that the only fee was the telephone fee to change which would be waived for EPs. If I book when I am a Plat but try to change when I am a EP I am assuming I wouldn't be charged any fee if my PNR has been updated to reflect EP status, correct?

2. Similar to #1 above, if I book an Award as a Plat but want to cancel it once I become EP, I am assuming I wouldn't be charged a fee if my PNR reflects an updated EP status.

I think I have it correct but wasn't sure so thought I would confirm it before I go about burning a bunch of miles for a trip that could get canceled.

NYBanker likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Howdy and welcome to MP!

1. If you are not an EXP, you will pay the redeposit fee. You aren't technically "changing" the award from AAnytime to MileSAAver, you're canceling your AAnytime and then booking the MileSAAver. As an EXP, this redeposit fee gets waived. After you become EXP, you do not pay the fee any longer.

2. Yes, this is true.

AisleSeatBob likes this.
  3. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick confirmation. Have been lurking for a while here (been on Flyertalk for a while) and thought I would try the site out - 1st experience is great :)

One question that I forgot to ask - if I book through another external site (Citi Thank you Network) for me and a couple of friends

- Do I lose out on any privileges of being a Plat or EP vs if I had booked directly through AA?
    - Do my friends (who have not status) get the same privileges (2 free bags, priority access etc) as me?

Thanks again

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do a search, damn it! hahaha...couldn't resist.

1) No, with one exception, you won't loose out on Plat/EP status, regardless of your ticketing source. The only exception is on an AA/OW miles award ticket...then you cannot upgrade. If you are redeeming Citi points for a ticket, I think they "buy" the ticket for you, and it still counts as a paid ticket.

2) As long as they are in the same PNR (the same booking file), then yes, they'll all get Priority Access and the baggage waiver.

Sounds like a holiday being planned. Where are you heading?

Microwave likes this.
  5. filelover

filelover Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did search but couldn't find the answer to if I bought specifically from Citi TYP network - which is why I wanted to confirm. Trip to Vegas - to celebrate 40th birthdays for a few of the boyz

Thanks for the response.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    +1. Thank You Point tickets are treated as if bought with cash.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just jokin' around...too much of that "do a search" stuff over at FT.

Sounds like a perfect plan!

filelover and AisleSeatBob like this.