Changing Elite Levels During Itinerary. Upgrades?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pizzaman, Oct 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have a friend that asked me a question today that I was unsure how to answer. He was a Gold member who's account just got upgraded to Plat today after crossing 75K a few days ago.

He's upgraded for his outbound and checked in already. In the new system, does he need to ask an agent to pull out the upgrade request for his return and resubmit? Should he wait to do this until after he flies the outbound? I assume since he's checked in it shouldn't make a difference but since there's more than 100 hours in departure and return there's no harm in waiting until his outbound is done tomorrow.

zpaul, Flyer1976, Garp74 and 2 others like this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will start by saying that I do not know for sure, but I would be quite surprised if it is not done automatically. While I have not had a split trip status change I have gone through post-purchase status change on both PMCO and on Today's United. The changeover was seamless. There are others here (WA for example) who have a better grasp of the details, but my experience suggests no problem.

Garp74 likes this.
  3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm the friend. Thank you, Ed, for posting this question on my behalf. The 100 hour window begins at 11:30am eastern on Thursday. The outbound leg lands around 4:00pm eastern tomorrow (Wednesday).

zpaul and Flyer1976 like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The system is supposed to process based on the status at the time of the sweep without intervention by the customer. Assuming the hope is a CPU there is nothing to "pull out" to process. The closest thing you can do is put a different FF# on the reservation and then switch back to the UA one to force the update. But that's not supposed to be necessary.

And the sweeps are at 24-hour intervals now so you're looking at 72 hours out as a Platinum Premier, not 100 (1K is 96).

8MiHi and Garp74 like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth. Had to figure your were the resident expert on this. ;)

So, you don't think the requests need to be removed and re-submitted?

8MiHi likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What "requests?"

If it is just CPU there is nothing requested. It just is.

8MiHi and Garp74 like this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup. That. Thanks for clarification of the "is". :)

Garp74 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you, Wandering Aramean! Ill
    Report back over the weekend and we'll see if it worked.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    54 hours til takeoff and still nothing cleared - and that's with 6 unsold seats and 10 1k cleared :(

10. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dont worry too much about the upgrade. Get a reclining exit row seat if you can. Leave the rest to higher powers.
    i used to lose my head so much thinking about an upgrade.....nowadays, i dont think about it so much, and its less stressful this way!

Garp74 likes this.
  11. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh completely agree, Snod! I fly transcon every week and always book exit row aisle 21C or 21D or on Airbuses I like to book bulkhead aisle. I never worry about upgrades, especially
    on puddly 2 or 3 hour flights.

But this is a rare personal flight with the wife so there's that. And, given the unique situation of my status changing, I didn't want to get screwed out of an upgrade :)

snod08 likes this.
  12. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey, are you guys on the same PNR? If so, does both of your flights show "upgrade requested" or something like that?
    If not on the same PNR, you will have to go to the airport and add her as your companion for her to wait-list for CPU. (of course, if you get the upgrade and she doesnt...then she goes in First class:))

Garp74 and Flyer1976 like this.
  13. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are on the same PNR. We both got upgraded together for outbound. Inbound is weird. Check out the Upgrade List under "seats booked":

image.jpg

So I'm not sure what's going on here. It started yesterday at 1 blocked, then last night it was 2 blocked, and this morning it's now 4 blocked.

As for split upgrades, Mrs David and I handle it differently. Last time it happened was in July on a redeye from SEA->IAD. We found the guy in the middle seat next to Mrs David in coach and we gave him my First Class seat and I sat with my wife. He was happy, obviously.

A few weeks ago, I was in 21c on the same redeye when a couple heading back to Europe on a J fare got split. They walked up to me and asked me to take 2A for the redeye so they could sit together. "Uh, sure!", I replied.

:)

snod08 likes this.
  14. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good deeds get good returns!

Garp74 likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Blocked seats like that usually means oversell. Not completely uncommon.

snod08 and Garp74 like this.
  16. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And to close this out, wife and I were upgraded at 24 hours into a now-full cabin. Thanks, MPers!

snod08 likes this.
  17. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    great success.jpg

Garp74 likes this.