changing Award flight in advance

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by syasko, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I'm a one pass newbie--I've read a few places that Continental will let you change award flights if a seat opens up in advance (I've had a few United flights open close and open again over the years). I think it's no change fee as long as it's 21 days in advance.

Any help would be..well..helpful.

JohnDeere19 and rwoman like this.
  2. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    As long as you booked through Continental, then yes, you can change an award booking with no fee if you keep the origin and destination the same, and you're at least 21 days out. You'll have to call to make the change, but so far the agents have been friendly. I just did it myself yesterday.

Besides that you can change the days, the routing, and the class of service (as long as there is inventory available).

JohnDeere19, rwoman and iolaire like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A clarification on the 21 day part of the rule: it is from the NEW travel date.

If you are booked to fly EWR-IAH-SFO on 6 January 2012 and you wish to change it to fly on 6 February 2012 but only EWR-ORD-SFO is available then you can make that call on 5 January and it would still be free as the new travel date (6 February) is still more than 21 days away.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Was not aware of this.

5. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any reason why CO.com wants to charge a change fee for a (>21 days) change to date - same O/D? I was playing with some date changes on an itinerary for several months out (booked from my wife's non-status acct. which I didn't think mattered) and CO.com priced in a change fee.

On a related note, is there a known issue with the website not showing availability when one tries to change an award flight - even when "new" award searches done immediately before and afterwards, have availability? I've noticed it multiple times so it doesn't seem like a one time fluke. I know UA.bomb is buggy but until recently I've not really used the CO site.

I know I can call but we don't have any definite need to change at the moment

6. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been able to change an award itinerary online (it always says I must call to make changes when I click the "change" link). So unfortunately, I can't speak to either of your issues. I would guess that if/when you decide to make the change the phone agent will tell you of any fees before making the change, so you can double check about the change fee. The only thing I was charged when I made my change was the difference in taxes and airport fees (~$20/passenger).

7. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Confirmed. I understand that UA didn't want people booking flights 22 days out then after booking moving them up to avoid the $75 fee, but now even if you booked months out and availability changes 15 days before departure with the origination, routing and destination the exact same, only flight time changes, UA is now charging the $75 close in booking fee.

Seems odd to charge a "close in booking fee" for a same-day award change (not a new booking or changing of any dates).