"changing a flight to a different airline" incurs fee?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Apr 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    According to the award ticketing fees page, "change a flight to a different airline" incurs a fee ($75 if no status).

So for example, suppose I book SFO-ICN-BKK on OZ, and then change the ICN-BKK segment from OZ to TG. It would seem that this change incurs the fee. Is that correct understanding? Anyone have experience with this either way?

Thanks!

2. andy12

andy12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can tell you that United will want to charge you a fee for this based on the conversations I had with them last week.

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Prior to March 3, Continental charged no fee for this while United did. Post-March 3 it seems that the combined airline charges the fee.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the changes are made 21 days in advance then there should be no fee at all.

sobore likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think the issue here is that post-March 3 they've adopted the more restrictive UA version of what constitutes a simple change rather than the more liberal CO version.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rules as written suggest that there is. This is new post-3.3 from the PMCO policy of not charging for most changes outside of 21 days so long as the O/D pair remains the same.

andy12 likes this.
  7. United Connection

United Connection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any definitive written source material on this? I've heard a lot of different answers to this question.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
  10. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Whoops - looks like Seth beat me to it :)

The nice thing is that changes to connecting city (or changing to non-stop) incurs no fee. Pre-merger United would charge a fee when there was a change of routing.

11. United Connection

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth/Gary.Helps to hear from the guys that book more awards than I do a year by probably a whole order of magnitude.

Only question that remains for me is- how does this work on a multi-carrier itin?Suppose I had a NH->NH->UA 3-segment itin and wanted to change to just NH->UA. I could see this argued as both "deleting a segment" (no fee) and "changing a flight to a different airline" (fee) since the 2nd segment of the itin was NH and is now UA. Which would it be?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The devil is in the details, huh?? ;)

I would bet in the case you've described it would be free as you aren't adding a carrier that wasn't previously there and you aren't deleting one completely. But it is definitely a vague enough rule that there is some potential for agents to just make up whatever they want and there probably isn't much a customer can do about it.

United Connection likes this.
  13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Although here's an ambiguous rule that'll cause some folks some problems -- stopovers are permitted enroute to your destination (on a roundtrip award)... but circle trips are not. Would someone please explain to me the difference, and in a way that UA agents will understand? :mad:

Maximizer and Wandering Aramean like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's one of my favorites. Particularly the example they give of an invalid trip which is, in fact, 100% legit and easily booked.

Flyer1976 and Maximizer like this.
  15. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since we are on the subject of change fees. Suppose I book a premium cabin award but one of the segments is only available in a lower cabin. Later my cabin level opens up - will UA allow the change up for free? I assume so but can the gurus confirm?

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    yep, no worries, no fee

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. That one is free because you actually already redeemed the higher points award. Nothing is being reissued in that case.

Also remember that if the segment in question is on UA metal you can have the upgraded segment waitlisted rather than stalking it yourself.

18. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always run into this issue when I have these crazy routings like NRT->RAR->FUK->TBU :D

Nothing might be reissued (they do not validate but they reprice) so it runs into issues sometimes.

19. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    ok, just to beat this horse to death: If I want to change the cabin or airline, inside the 21-day window, do I pay $75 or $150?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Assuming no status, $75/passenger. And it doesn't matter WHEN you make that change; there is a charge for it even 300 days out.

21. United Connection

Status Points:
    FWIW, I (a 1P) changed routing and carrier on an award yesterday and wasn't charged a fee. Guessing this more them not having their sh*t together than anything else though.

That said, I more than paid for it with a 3hr+ call going back and forth on the usual "you can't cross two oceans on a round trip award" argument after it somehow priced out as a RTW. 2.5 hrs of making up rules / being on hold later, we realize the agent had fat-fingered a date and added a 2nd stopover to the itin, creating the RTW. :oops:

22. vromantik

vromantik Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just another data-point,- I was not charged a fee today changing a reservation from MSQ-FRA-ATL all on Lufthansa to MSQ-VIE-FRA-ATL with first two segments on Austrian. The flight is 3 months away.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  23. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends what you mean when you write "1P". If you're Platinum, all the fees are waived, so that's appropriate. If you're Gold, you got lucky.

24. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You bring up an interesting issue:
    is it now 3P (Silver), 2P (Gold), 1P (Plat), 1K? Or is there are new shorthand for Plat?
    Maybe:
    2P, 1P, PL, 1K?

25. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen 2P, 1P, 0P, 1K, GS

genemk2 likes this.