changing a AA rewards tix on CX from economy to business

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jazzk, Nov 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I have searched and can't find the answer. I am flying CX Business to BKK next week. I am returning 11/28 from HKG to ORD but in economy b/c there were no business awards available. But now there are business awards available so can I change my return and just pay the additional 20,000 AA miles? Or is it more complicated than that?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jazzk.

You should be able to call AA and request they rebook your award in J without too much difficulty. Traditionally they have not charged the fee associated with making this change since you are moving UP a cabin.

Aktchi and sobore like this.
  3. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:
    Great! Thanks! Yes, it's my first post but I do read lots and I use the search feature :) The return flight is 21 days from today. Do you think that will make a difference?

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint! :) I do not believe this to be any more complicated than you mentioned. If it appears to a problem on the phone with the agent, you may wish to call back and try again with another agent.
    At times the procedures agents use can vary, or you may encounter one not well versed in what you are asking.

Aktchi likes this.
  5. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can hardly do better than to repeat the good advice you have already received and it applies to all of your dealings with AA: Call them. If the agent is helpful, great. If not, don't prolong the discussion; thank them, hang up, call again in a few minutes.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The 21 day rule only applies when you book awards for travel within 21 days OR when you book travel for the future and then request a date change to within 21 days of your ticketing date.

I don't think this applies in your case, though I don't know when you ticketed your award.

7. jazzk

jazzk Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! I got a very helpful agent who took care of everything for me. They did have to cancel my ticket and re-deposit my miles and then rebook so it took a bit of time but no change fees where charged. VERY excited to be in J both ways, not just outbund!

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    congrads, enjoy your flights