Changes to PS

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Dec 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been confirmed that UA is reconfiguring its PS aircraft, though not sure if any new interior planes are actually in service. This will see the F cabin disappear for a slightly larger C cabin (though IIRC it will be ultimately branded F though fare will remain at the C level), and E+ throughout the back. The revamped front cabin will have a new C seat.

I'm taking a PS flight on Monday, but in checking over the past week to monitor C space for my wait listed CR1 upgrade (which cleared overnight), I noticed that when I did a search for F on the LAX-JFK route, all I got were connecting flights via ORD or IAH. No PS non stops (or even via SFO) showed up even though the pop up showed "F, C, Y" available (when I did the search for C and Y). Today, the F shows up on a search for booking all Monday's PS flights.

Curious why F didn't show in previous searches. Could it be uncertainty of which aircraft would fly the route (i.e. new config or old)? Surely F was not sold out on every PS flight and there were cancellations on every flight next Monday opening up all the cabins.

Anyone have any idea what's happening?

(Did a search for a PS thread but couldn't find one. If there is, would appreciate Moderator to merge this so we have a single consolidated discussion of this service and its future. Thanks.)

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they've started changing any of the new cabins. My guess is that they won't start until mid-late 2012, but there might be an inside source that can clarify.

I found this from a United press release:

United is also doing a complete nose-to-tail renovation of its popular p.s. fleet, which serves the New York Kennedy to San Francisco and Los Angeles markets. When completed in 2013, p.s. aircraft will offer flat-bed seats, Economy Plus, power ports at every row, on-demand audio and video and Wi-Fi service.

http://ir.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=83680&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1598567

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing has started (at least not yet in service) for the p.s. fleet.

4. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    They ought not to drag their feet very much in doing something about that ragtag fleet. :rolleyes:

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think that they might have some interesting inventory issues in the mix while the planes are being converted so I would be surprised if they dally too much. That said, getting 13 aircraft out of service and converted that quickly will be a challenge. I wonder if they'll find a way in the schedule to ground 6 or 7 at once and just do 'em all and then cycle the others through. It would mean that some existing non-ps 757s become ps 757s but I'm not so sure there is a reason the ones that are ps are designated as such other than they are the ones which got converted at the time. So it might not matter.

6. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might it be possible for them to plug in some of the CO 752s on a temporary basis or are all of those committed and badly needed elsewhere?

7. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that would be pretty difficult considering that the CO planes have only 16 seats up front, and no Economy Plus at this point in time. That means a downgrade for everyone on the plane except the 16 lucky folks who get a BusinessFirst seat. Everyone else goes down either a class or from E+ to E-.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am taking the JFK-LAX p.s. tomorrow morning in NC, and it looks like business as usual, as does my return LAX-JFK p.s., also in NC, on December 8.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  9. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have one next thursday, same thing. Upgrade cleared in 24 hours

10. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure there is great UG results with the PS flights because they don't have UDU ( like the good old days ;)).

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can say that again! I've done the p.s. thing 6 times (3 RTs) this year, and 6 times the UGs, secured 4 times with SWUs and twice with CR1s, cleared outside of the 1K clearance window.

12. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do not need "16 lucky folks." You need 16 customers who buy the seats in the front of the airplane. As far as the E+ thing goes, I imagine that configuring that can be done in a day or so.

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Moving y seats is more involved than it sounds. The seats are the easy part...but the lights, oxygen masks, a/c vents etc all need to be moved. The cables connecting these items may need to be lengthened or shortened. The unused items must need to be capped off.

I suspect adding e+ (or removing mrtc on AA many years ago) takes a few days.

14. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I understand the problems but a few days is not a whole lot for something that they are planning to need to do anyhow. There is going to be E+ on those 752s within the next year so it can be done early enough to help with the ps equipment renewals.

And they had better do a good job on those renewals because after a flight on a clean and well maintained CO legacy 752 with a precise and efficient CO legacy crew, the premium UA legacy Transcon customers are going to wonder what it was that they had been getting all along. IMO, CO Business First has been far, far superior to UA ps first.

jupper likes this.
  15. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apart from which pre-merger airline's cabin was best, above all they want to provide a consistent (PS or not) product, so that will most likely be the deciding factor.

16. sonoma

sonoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    lucky you...I have not had such luck with either SWU or CR1 for the past three months on JFK-SFO-JFK routes. :( Have never failed on these routes in the past...

17. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    No such thing as a 1K clearance window on a PS flight :) The UDU windows don't exist on PS flights so CR-1 or SWU upgrades can happen at any time.

-RM

meFIRST likes this.
  18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right, of course. What I meant was that I did not have to sweat it at the airport. Each of the 6 upgrades to p.s. NC had cleared weeks before departure date.

19. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're going from an aircraft with 38 premium seats to, temporarily, an aircraft with 16 premium seats, and they've actually sold 20 of the premium seats on the flight, then, yes, those 16 are lucky folks, because some are getting downgraded.

20. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a thread going on about this at Airliners.net. Seems like there is some misinformation -- but a couple folks have thrown around 26 J seats as the # on the new PS configuration. I also have read 28 J seats. Does anyone know the correct #?

I'm looking forward to AVOD even in Y+ -- that would make a missed upgrade more bearable.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5324659/

21. monitor
    Original Member

monitor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they actually do average actually selling 16 premium seats on ps.

I had always thought that a large number of seats in the business cabin on those flights were instrument or courtesy upgrades as were a few of the seats in first. If that is true, having 16 seats to sell during the short period of overhauls to the ps fleet would not be that much of a problem.

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is a problem unless you set the inventory at the artificially low number and then mess everything up at the gate once you know what the plane really is. It is also a problem in the back as there are more total Y seats on the new config and a mix of E+ and E- while the old doesn't have that. Minimizing the transition time is going to be very important and I cannot imagine them using the extant 752BF fleet as a stop gap as part of the effort.

23. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past when the 757 p.s. have gone out of service, I remember them subbing in a 3-cabin 767. It has more capacity in back and only slightly less in the front...

24. I believe it is 26 which is the current number of business class seats. So that means there is a net loss of premium seats, as the FC is being eliminated. More economy seats. Not sure whether those economy seats will all be economy plus.

25. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All of the seats on the PS Aircraft are Economy Plus so it should remain that way.