Changes to Plat Premiere benefit

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by manfromkrypton, Mar 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the Courtyard in Pittsburgh and according to them, there's a change in benefits for Platinum Premiere members.

1. Get BOTH the 500 point gift and an amenity/market item. It's not one or the other anymore.
    2. No longer have to pay the $5 for the High Speed Internet that's complimentary.

Anyone else seeing this elsewhere? Any other changes reported at non-Courtyard properties?

uggboy and gregm like this.
  2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, it's a Courtyard thing as they are no longer providing free coffee in the lobby. I actually don't remember free coffee and I stayed at Courtyards for many, many nights last year! (More than 100) I was told this by the manager here in Florence, SC 2 weeks ago.
    How can free high speed 'cost' $5? I haven't paid for wifi at a Courtyard in at least 2 years that I can remember.

uggboy likes this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's 400 points but yes, it's both now. Excludes full size bottles of wine and non-food items like an emory board. So you can get a bottle of water, a soda, a beer, a pint of ice cream, a frozen entree, a candy bar etc. but 1 -- and only 1 -- for free. I think I'd rather a $5 (or whatever) credit so I can get 2 low priced items, or even a couple of aspirin, if I choose.

Anyhow, considering Courtyards typically do not offer elites free breakfast at least it's a step in the right direction. I rarely stay at Courtyards since they seem over-priced for the amenities offered and the lack of free breakfast.

Counsellor, gregm and uggboy like this.
  4. T5campbell

T5campbell Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just in LA this week. Marriott Lost my business due to the fact that I can get the Aloft hotels similar to Courtyards and receive better amenities. I have been Platinum Premier for 4 years now and rapidly moving towards Starwood due to the fact that Courtyards have next to 0 benefits for me traveling. Why spend the same amount for an overnight stay at a Courtyard when I can go to an A Loft for the same price and get free coffee, free breakfast, and a free water?

5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last few weeks I've been taking the points and a large bottle of Fiji water. That's the most expensive thing I could find, that I like.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    My condolences.

gregm likes this.
  7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same thing when I checked into the Courtyard in El Paso two weeks ago.

Usually when I check into a Marriott (any brand) I ask if I can have a bottle of water on top of asking for the points. They almost all always say yes. Only one actually went back and charged me for it.

-Rob

8. ZCT

ZCT Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only time I've ever been charged for Internet (even the premium upsell option) was in Vegas as the Cosmopolitan, and I'm only a Platinum Elite (not Premier - although I'll get that later this year as I am now exclusive to Marriott). Even then, I only had to ask at check out and they backed all those fees off anyway.