Changes to Move-Up program beginning May 4th

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by JetsettingEric, Apr 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I heard the move-up program is changing from a supervisor this morning while getting my move-up processed. I didn't get anything official, so i could be wrong.

For those that are not familiar - the Move-Up is US Airway's same day stand-by program. The rules were vague at best - but allowed you to move up to an earlier flight for $50, waived if you're elite.

What counted as an earlier flight? Is it by departure? or was it by arrival time?

so if I was on a 9am BOS-PHX and i wanted to take an 8am BOS-LGA-PHX, was that allowed even if the LGA-PHX got me into PHX later? What about if I was on the 8am BOS-LGA-PHX and wanted to take the direct to arrive earlier?

In the past, with a friendly agent, you could get most reasonable changes accomplished with a move-up. This was very helpful to add segments, or to fly on a flight that had first class availability.

Now, the rules are stricter to get move-ups processed. You cannot change your connecting airports without having the ticket refared. So, if i was flying on the noon BOS-PHX, i could still move-up to the 9am BOS-PHX, but i could not take the BOS-LGA-PHX without having to refare my ticket.

It's an unfortunate change - but likely not the straw that broke the camel's back. Other carriers (like UA) have much more restrictive same day change policies (orig fare class needs to be available).

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes UA requires original fare class to be available but they're quite generous with a 24 hour same day confirmed change policy so if my flight was at 11PM on a Thursday I can change it to anything on a Wednesday at 11:01PM or to later Friday at 10:59PM but you have to be within 24 hours of the change...

Oh and they allow routing changes AS LONG AS THE FARE PURCHASED allows the routing...

It's not as restrictive as you describe but rather generous and industry leading.

3. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use Move Up to switch to a flight that has good first class availability, do they generally clear you into first or give you a coach seat assignment and put you on the upgrade list?

4. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    DIG - fair point - but you can only confirm a few hours before your flight, so if you wanted to take the 10:59pm on friday, you run the risk of no availability in your ticketed class when you try and confirm it. AA and Delta to my knowledge don't require the original class to be available, just as long as the plane isn't going to be oversold.

You may have better luck with the agents than the general international call center, but i've been refused same day confirmation over the phone for a domestic flight because "i'm required to be at the airport 3 hours in advance". I did call over 3 hours in advance, but was left on hold for a while. of course, this isn't the typical way it should happen.

John777 - They usually process your upgrade at the same time. US doesn't really hold back first class seats for gate upgrades. Better for the guys with firm schedules (upgrades clear earlier), bad for the guys with a flexible schedule (you could standby for an earlier flight, but lose your upgrade).

John777 likes this.
  5. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same inventory is a guideline frequently overlooked for Premiers. ;)

JetsettingEric and rggale like this.