Changes to low BusinessElite award tickets and award ticket hold policy

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Aug 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    An FTer scooped this on the FT DL rep...

Changes to low BusinessElite award tickets and award ticket hold policy
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ite-mileage-redemption-award-hold-policy.html

From rylan:

LETTERBOY likes this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can't wait for the reaction from some of the more "colorful" folks on this forum. :)

I can almost understand the reasoning though... they have better product, so they're pricing it higher. Of course the fact that they're going that high, and without notice, is not going to be welcome by many.

redtailshark and uggboy like this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

"Wait" for the reaction from "colorful members"? Who might they be? If you mean, the family selachimorpha...then you must know that the shark has survived so many millenia because it has evolved to be lightning fast - and the shark had already pounced on this before Robin posted.

You can bet this won't be welcomed by "many." Not many at all, it seems.

As for "better product," really? Better than what? 125k SM can now - notionally at phantom LOW level - get you from US to EU in J. In practice as we all know it can easily be 635k-from-PHL-to-FCO-not-all-of-which-is-in-J.

Meantime 125k AAdvantage (or indeed the same number of AS MP) can get you flagship F for the same itin. More reliably than DL J appears for the 125k SM. DL BE is not superior to AA - or other available One World - F.

viguera likes this.
  4. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta's rationale that a more valuable product should be priced higher in terms of the number of miles required is utter garbage and an insult to its customers. The principal means of acquiring skymiles is by flying. One mile flown equals one skymile. Ticket prices are increasing and will continue to increase. Yet the number of miles flown/skymiles acquired for each dollar spent and for each dollar of revenue to Delta will decline. In other words, with no change in award levels Delta's revenue for each skymile and each award will increase. Delta is simply withdrawing the benefits for loyalty to Delta and Delta customers should give their loyalty to airlines that don't insult them on this fashion.

5. James K.

James K. Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the plus side, AF availability is back. So at least you can find some substandard, 25% pricier seats, eh? Am I right?

LETTERBOY, DiverDave and viguera like this.
  6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    You pay extra for...best in class.

The big question is who will follow?

7. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who knows. If the AA/US merger goes down in flames, we might be left with some actual competition. :eek:

David

rwoman likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Oh no no, I'm not saying is better than the other carriers... I'm saying at least it's better than what they had before. :)

And I agree... it matters little if they have 100k or 125k if you can't find availability regardless.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Not trying to applaud DL's move here, but I was surprised to see they didn't make this effective immediately.

viguera, Flyer1976 and MJonTravel like this.
  10. Shindig

Shindig Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw this coming when I checked for availability using AF's Flying Blue early this summer and saw the lowest redemption was 62.5 each way. When I relocated to Atlanta in '94 I started flying DL regularly as I had to travel throughout the 50 states and they were almost impossible to avoid. Checking some old records I found that they offered a two ticket biz to Europe redemption award at 150K. That was replaced in '96 to 80k a pop. By the early millennium it went to 90k (I did get one award in '06) but it soon jumped to 100K. (Got two to LHR in 2/12. Not a lot of leisure travelers, of course). Now the "enhancements" mean an additional 25K if one can find a seat at 125K. That's strange, as my 2012 award flights had the fully lie flat beds. Now retired, I can't keep pace with the increased award costs despite being a pretty fair card churner. Alas!

11. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta is making the point that skymiles and loyalty to Delta are becoming less and less valuable. We should take them at their word and stop choosing Delta because of their mileage program. Choose your airline solely on the basis of cost, comfort and price as if there were no mileage program incentive, because the value if the mileage program for most people is de minimis and getting more minimis by the hour.

12. redbroccoli

redbroccoli Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pay more for best in class?
    They maybe the best among US carriers, but DL's partner list is worst among the US carriers.
    So, why does DL charge more for partner award? :rolleyes:
    I'm glad I moved over to AS a couple of years ago.

13. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've updated the interactive Delta award maps I host. This will help to visualize the award redemption price increases and clearly shows the area of India, Pakistan etc... that is now cheaper to reach than Europe!
    It's available here if interested: New Delta Business Class Award Maps Post-Devaluation

[​IMG]

Jaimito Cartero and viguera like this.
  14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Better product on DL?

110k RT for CX J booked with AA miles. 135k for CX F, US-Asia. DL better than these? I don't think so. I flew DL J NRT-SEA a few months back, and it'd rate it the same as a regional J flight within Asia on TG/SQ. 140k at low, will probably be just as hard as it is now to find 120k awards.

And you still can't book DL one way awards on DL.com for half the miles. DL has had so many major devaluations with their program in the last 5+ years, it's really hard to keep them straight.

newbluesea and redbroccoli like this.