Changes to Itinerary

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Feb 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I noticed today when I was checking my numerous up and coming itineraries that one had in red an update for me. When I looked I found that on the trans atlantic segments that the aircraft had changed, it was a B767-400ER and now was changed according to UA to an Airbus A330-300. What? since when did UA have such and aircraft. After agreeing to changes and then looking at the itnerary once again, there it was B767-400ER not an A330-300, how in the world would UA even be able to show an A330-300 when they don't have them?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    You discovered their secret unannounced growth plan in the face of the AA/US merger :)

Just a little bug, it seems. Their website of course can display aircraft types that aren't operated by UA, since they sell tickets on partner carriers with those types. And so somehow your flight got miscoded while the change flag was on the record. Something similar happened a while ago with the 787 flights where a schedule change caused them to appear as A320s (I believe), but once the change was accepted it converted back to a 787.

sfo1 likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But in fact there was no change, the 767 was the original aircraft, am glad it was not an airbus, don't really like them, am a Boeing fan.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, that's the thing... there was no actual change in the 787->A320 phantom change either. So the bug is that something caused the system to believe that there was an aircraft type change.

sfo1 likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every weekend pretty much for the past year or so the company has loaded massive batch jobs of schedule changes into the system. When they do these batch jobs a number of parameters on the flights go out of sync as they push all the different bits through the system. Eventually it gets to the end of the batch and by then everything is back where it is supposed to be. Seat assignments and aircraft types are the most common "surprises" that people see but they have, in nearly every case I've seen reported, gone back to where they should be by the end of the weekend. No need to worry about it at all.

Misplaced Texan and sfo1 like this.
  6. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless of course SHARES has you scheduled to depart your connecting city before you arrive at it.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And what, pray tell, does this have to do with the scenario the OP described?

Even if rebooked with a misconnect I'd usually wait until the full batch of changes is run before calling in, just to make sure they don't have it taken care of already. But that's a far cry from the aircraft type description being incorrect for a few hours.

8. hobo13
    Original Member

hobo13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your comment about 'don't worry about it' makes it sound like the SHARES auto-rebook engine functions perfectly. My experience is that it clearly does not. And this is an example of that. I have never seen an illegal connection correct itself, but hey, I'm not a GS.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you read it that way. My point was that typically one should wait until the full set of of changes runs before trying to fix things. IME that has been sufficient in most cases.

I have, but, again, that's a quite different situation than the erroneous aircraft type.

Neither am I. Doesn't have much to do with this bit from what I can tell.

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is nothing. There are numerous reports of the ZFV-EWR sector occasionally blipping to a E145 for a few hours every few weekends.

Inquiring minds are still trying to work out whether they plan to load the darn things on flat-bed cars or if there's a secret runway in downtown Philly. ;)

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.