Changes to FedEx / Skymiles partnership

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by viguera, Aug 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got this email earlier today...

Interesting that they're supposedly working on new promotions, but I wonder how that's going to work out for existing members -- or if people should just cancel their accounts and wait for a new member offer or something.

2. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be a trend lately toward canceling programs while "developing new ... promotions". Personally, I'd rather the new programs are developed before the old ones get canceled.

viguera likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:

Muahahaha! DL says they are

"in the process of developing new Delta SkyMiles promotions to better serve you."

What could these be? Hmmm, that's right, how about FUBAR. That will "better serve you" because for sure it will mean last-seat availability for redemption on every DL flight systemwide.... even if takes 635k to get one pax from PHL to FCO not all of which is in J.

DL also says that:

"You will be contacted when these new offers are in place. "

Now, this one I really don't believe. But, perhaps they mean, "we'll be scooped on FT and must respond by posting within 30 mins so we can claim we did it when the offers are in place"

You know, maybe the effort to analyze the statement isn't worth it. I admit that I hardly even had to read the actual announcement to know that it would best be described as:

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

anileze and viguera like this.
  4. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    Past is prologue. (Shakespeare, The Tempest) This is the long goodbye. You may be old enough to remember when airlines did not offer frequent flyer programs. They will never end ... But the day is fast approaching when for all intents and purposes they will be over (ie. a million miles will buy you a free soft drink).

anileze likes this.
  5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say that in the yonder horizon, we'd see airlines spin-off their miles divisions; Just like MLT now runs Delta vacations as well as United vacations and a few others; Some one would do the same for mileage programs. It would be different from non-branded mileage credit cards. First they go rid of their kitchens..

6. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to the release, FedEx is the entity that decided to end the continuing partnership and instead move to promotions. Definitely not unreasonable to believe FedEx is no longer willing to pay for miles and provide discounts on every single purchase when there are limited options in the marketplace; an already captured customer doesn't have many alternatives.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Interesting. I've been a member of this for a while and haven't received this notification yet.

I wonder if FedEx is canceling the US partnership as well.