Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for Silver Medallions

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by DeltaExpert, Dec 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    For Economy Class tickets purchased on or after December 15 for travel that will take place on or after March 1st 2012, Silver Medallions will now be allowed to check one bag (the current policy is two bags) weighing up to 70 lbs at no charge on Delta and Delta connection flights. Silver Medallion members with a Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express can still check a second bag for free.

This policy change will only impact those Silver Medallions traveling within or between the US, CA, USVI, or Puerto Rico. This change also affects SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP members when traveling on Delta within or between these areas.

Jett Rink likes this.
  2. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another FO rescission. So far, so good, but at some point the benefits of FO aren't worth responding to. We're not quite there yet but I think it's closer.

At least this policy change is being communicated ahead of time.

DeltaExpert and Davescj like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Dislike" on this one...:confused:

n301dp, DeltaExpert and Davescj like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess Amex wants FOs to keep their CCs, so they take away benefits if you don't have one.

FO vs. Amex gives preferred seating (however much is left after domestic EC rolls out), free domestic EC at checkin, moderate IROPS treatment boost, and whatever upgrades you can snag. Also 20 pounds in your bag, and a fistful of pesos.

At least adding domestic EC at checkin might be an improvement, assuming it doesn't eat up all the priority seating and leave FOs without any more seat selection advantage.

Is there anything left that airlines can realistically provide to low-tier elites to better differentiate that level from CC holders?

On the flip-side, from my fairly recent time as a non-status pax...preferred seating is an underrated benefit by those who forget how bad the alternative can be.

5. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yet another "improvement" in service and that many more bags that will be carried on, that much longer to get through security and that many more gate lice ad nausem

BTW, I rarely check bags..

DTWBOB

n301dp likes this.
  6. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is too bad about FO being worth less. I'm not sure this is a good idea.

7. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is inline with United's Program for 2012 which is why I believe they did it.

8. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seriously how many silver medallions were checking 2 bags? This seems like a slap in the face that will make very little money for the airline.

mrredskin, n301dp and DeltaExpert like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's more of a way to promote the amex than anything else, but I do wonder if it's worth it.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if the cost of making this change will ever be recovered. Which Medallion in his right mind would check bags when traveling with US!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  11. Delta Points
    Original Member

Delta Points Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well... if you ski or golf or scuba you need one for toys and one for stuff. So there are some I would think.

Plus the 30k bonus to start does off set a few extra years of fee for card IMO.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  12. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did several times as an FO. It was great.

I don't see the point of FO now, when you can just have an AMEX CC for $99. Both get Zone 2 boarding, 1 free checked bag, and non-elite treatment. Only thing FO gets is 25% more Skypesos (meh) and priority check-in to check in their 1 free bag.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  13. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    From June-October I was pretty much transient with stuff floating between 3 cities on 2 continents. I lived my life out of 2 bags!

kyunbit and DeltaExpert like this.
  14. Stils

Stils Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. Although how often are silvers checking 2 bags? Say you're flying a couple of times a month it is most likely a single checked bag situation or a no checked bag situation. The 2 times a year or so that you actually check a second bag it ticks you off that you are paying for it since you have put your loyalty into this program. Just not sure the money they will make from the few times a second bag is checked is worth the unhappiness of the loyal traveler.
    I agree. I don't have any status at all but I'm rocking that Delta Amex Gold and loving the free checked bag, zone 2 boarding, and I JUST received my first $99 companion ticket today. boom! Although I would be quite surprised if I didn't get to at least silver this upcoming year flying for work.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  15. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    For years, I was only a lower-tier elite status flyer, and I loved Delta because on flights without many PMs and GMs, FO was top dog -- I got the upgrade or at least preferred seating. Plus rollover MQMs.

But now, there's an inflation of elites. I see it every time I look at the GIDS. What 3 years ago used to be an upgrade list of 10-12 is now over 30 or 40. With EC coming to domestic fleets, FOs are losing out.

I wonder if AA GLD is starting to become better than FO. At least with the sticker system, it's possible to have a good shot at an upgrade since there aren't tons of EXPs through rollover. And GLDs get the same access to preferred seats as EXPs. And their miles are not worthless. The fleet is older but I'm hoping restructuring will fix that.

16. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The simple fact is that Delta, along with many other airlines, has decreased the value they place on paying passengers and increased the value they place on credit card holders.

It's a very bad sign for those of us who travel a modest amount annually for work &/or play. Clearly, the airlines themselves believe that they have a captive audience who won't switch from their preferred airline, regardless of how little they get as an "elite".

deltaGOLDflyer likes this.
  17. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once in a while, Mrs DTWBOB and I both bring a bag and to save time put both of them on one reservation.

Thanks Delta.

DTWBOB

kyunbit likes this.
  18. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see myself as being impacted. (sigh of relief, well, maybe)

No reason, really, to change channels.

Where's the email from Delta on this?

19. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    True. Medallions checking in their bags is a once in a blue moon case. This is really a bad move. First the 72 hr rule. Now this.

20. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, now that I fly more frequently and just want to get out of the airport, I rarely check bags. But wouldn't DL want some people to check bags since it would reduce the number of carry-ons onboard? Either I'm going to check the bag or you're going to have to gate-check the Zone 4 guy's bag...

21. n301dp
    Original Member

n301dp Silver Member

Status Points:
    [QUOTE="daemon14"
    I wonder if AA GLD is starting to become better than FO. At least with the sticker system, it's possible to have a good shot at an upgrade since there aren't tons of EXPs through rollover. And GLDs get the same access to preferred seats as EXPs. And their miles are not worthless. The fleet is older but I'm hoping restructuring will fix that.[/QUOTE]

Remember that AA miles can get you into international FC while Delta SkyPesos cannot.

daemon14 likes this.