Changes to award ticket with destination open jaw after outbound flown?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Almond, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Here is my situation:

I want to book an award ticket for my uncle from Manila to Toronto.

Along with a Canadian visa, he will also apply for a US tourist visa.

So ideally he will get a ticket from MNL-YYZ and returning from NYC-MNL.

If he already flies the outbound, can I still make changes to the inbound? Changes to the date and/or departure airport?

Or would I have to make all changes before the outbound and do a redeposit and reticket?

I plan on using CO miles.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

You are subject to whatever fees may apply based on your status level but changes can be made at any point during the trip, even after travel has begun.

3. I'm aware that changes can be made as long as there is no change in origin and destination, but I don't know how that would apply to an open jaw. Wouldn't that be essentially a change in destination?

Also, would the fee to change $25 (CO Gold) or the fee for general members?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If you book MNL-YYZ//NYC-MNL and you change to MNL-YUL//NYC-MNL then that is a change to the O/D and would have a fee as I understand it.

The fee is based on the status of account from which the miles are redeemed at the time of the change.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Up until very recently there were no changes permitted at all on a Star Alliance award after flying the first segment. Except that you could change to all-United metal.

Now you can make changes to your award mid-trip, including changing origin/destination as long as you continue to conform to the award's routing rules.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The OP is talking about using CO miles which have always been more generous on this front. CO permits routing changes as well as date changes. Carrier doesn't matter.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Sorry - correct - I missed that it was CO miles!