Changes to AA's Boarding Procedure

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by DestinationDavid, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Floating around for a few days on the web, but AA's website has now been updated with the information making it official.

The new 1 and 2 CLASS DOMESTIC boarding order is:
    • First Class/EXP/Uniformed military
    • PLT
    • Priority Access/Group 1
    • Group 2
    • Group 3
    • Group 4
    The new INTERNATIONAL & 3 CLASS DOMESTIC boarding order is:
    • First Class/Uniformed military
    • Business Class/EXP
    • PLT
    • Priority AAcess/Group 1
    • Group 2
    • Group 3
    • Group 4

sobore likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this mean that Golds can't board early unless they're travelling in First of Business? Wow, that's worse than the way DL treats its Silvers.

3. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think this means that Golds are part of Group 1. Being Gold means you're always at least Priority AAcess, unless I'm mistaken.

DestinationDavid likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. ;)

5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being Gold not too long ago you will be in Group 1 with Priority Access.

As a PLAT this is so so. They're definitely putting us behind the others and I'm ok with that really. But am I to sit here and believe that they're really going to pause, call platinum and wait and then go on to group1/PA? It won't happen in reality. So basically PLT will be pushed back into the Group 1 because at least GAs have been enforcing the boarding order lately in my experience.

6. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be nice to see some Alaska love, I am getting somewhat worried with how the AS/AA/DL partnerships are heavily tilting toward Delta.

7. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main problem/challenge with the new sequences will occur on EXP-heavy flights departing from hubs and focus cities. The people lining up at the red sign prior to the beginning of boarding (species gateum liceum :)) is bound to increase, as non-upgraded EXPs jockey to board early in order to secure overhead bin space.

8. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I disagree that this will be a new or more challenging problem. Gate crowding is already bad and really can't get any worse. The new boarding procedure effectively (and officially) splits EXP and PLT boarding.

Wurm likes this.
  9. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope that you're right and that I'm wrong. My thought on the gate crowding was that, up to now, some of the EXPs flying in Y tended to hang back a little (especially from the immediate threshold of the entrance to the PA lane), since they were in the second, not first, group to board.

Also, imagine a domestic narrowbody flight leaving from a hub, in which you have 16 in F and maybe another 16 non-upgraded EXPs or military traveling in Y - 32 people eligible for first group boarding. Then, the first person in line, a person seated in the 3E bulkhead, has limited-mobility but did not avail themselves of pre-boarding. By the time he struggles to store his carry-on, he has held up a line of 31 behind him in the jetway, rather than the previous 15 (something similar happened to me three weeks ago).

I do realize that what I'm imagining is worst-case scenario, but it will be interesting to hear reports from the battlefield - I have 11 segments in the next couple of of weeks, so I'll report back, as I hope others do as well.

10. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And oneworld elites??
    Are they treated with the relevant EXP/PLT category, or just in Priority AAcess

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't say on AA's site, but I've seen it posted elsewhere that they'll be treated with the relevant EXP/PLT/GLD levels.

12. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the EXP should board with the 1st Class always, after all they are the ultimate loyalty customers that gives a huge support to the airline business!!!

13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is this any different that what already occurs? Non-upgraded EXPs have long jockied to board early to secure overhead space.

Wurm likes this.
  14. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the concept and applaud it.How it will pan out is the big question
    The agents are in such a rush to board the plane and passengers anxious to board the aircraft
    it typically becomes a cluster### and no one can comfortably line up
    I dropped to Platinum if they can seperate the masses this all makes great sense.
    I see the agents possibly messing it up under time constraints and pressure
    Even the old procedure was messed up frequently.
    Pets, wheel chairs,walkers and kids seem to be the new elite Exec Plats as of late
    I saw an Exec Plat get scolded for trying to board first this week.I got a laugh out of it

15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was BA Gold (OW Emerald), my airport-issued AA boarding passes had "Aadvantage Executive Platinum" on them (even though I wasn't EXP at the time). AA has honored (honoured) the OW statuses to the corresponding AA elite levels for some time. I suspect they will continue to do so.

The two principal differences in being AA vs OW elite on AA....no segment upgrades for OW elite, and no AC access for AA elites!

16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right - they (we?) will now be in the first boarding group, not the second. When I'm in Y I do hang back somewhat, at least making sure that the F first-group boarders have a clear path to the threshold of the door. My main concern is that there's at least the potential for longer lines in the jetways (and reducing jetway lineups was an AA stated goal). Like I said, I hope to be proven wrong. ;)

17. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true in theory but in practice not so much.

People on these boards rave about getting EXP for only $3000 in a year. I once pulled plat at $1008. So although its easy to think EXP are the best of the best for the airline's bottom line, its not always true.

miamigrad likes this.
  18. I'm glad they finally made this change. Virtually anyone can get Gold status with AA. EXP and PLT deserve to board first, especially now that overhead space is at a premium. I also hope that AA attendants start enforcing the "1 carry-on above, 1 under your seat" rule a little bit better. There is always some inconsiderate ass that throws 2+ bags in the overhead, sideways of course, and screws other passengers. That or the guy who is sitting in row 32 but puts his bags in the overhead above row 12. Man, I need a drink now hahahaha

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  19. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Implementation (tongue only slightly in cheek): Each gate has seven separate rope lines leading to the gate. A wooden bar blocks the entrance to the gate and has an electric charge. Anyone who tries to move the barrier before it gets released gets zapped.

Mike

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    My next flight is in about a week. I'll see how this is implemented in good ol' terminal 3 @ ORD. It seems the GAs are always frantically trying to close a flight due to lengtening delays. I don't carry much onboard, so my only hope is that I don't miss out on overhead space.

Tenmoc likes this.
  21. aamilesslave
    Original Member

aamilesslave Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds a lot like WN boarding (and it works with WN :eek:)

Tenmoc likes this.
  22. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overheard at different stations this past weekend (quote-by-quote!):

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we're glad you're here, but the aircraft has been taken out of service. We'll let you know the decision about this flight in about 5-10 minutes!"

"Okay folks, bear with me, I need to follow our new procedures. The verbage has to be read as written. Let's see ... OHH!!! We're glad you're here!!! I almost forgot that!!! My name is [Gate Agent Name] and I will be learning this new procedure with you today!"

"We'd like to begin boarding by inviting our first class passengers, executive platinum ... [pause] [microphone aside, asking another gate agent] hey what about oneworld emerald [pause] [back to the microphone] OKAY! oneworld emerald, too, and uniformed military personnel only at this time!!!"

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Haha, while I was out this weekend each GA had a polished version of the script memorized. Your experiences would have been more fun to here.

24. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect implementation, no matter how "standardized" it appears to be on AA correspondence, will vary a bit from city to city, gate to gate.

25. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Take any policy at any large company and rinse, wash, repeat. ;)