Changes in Baggage Fees

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by JAbrams72, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Caribbean or Central America to or from the U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada, Europe and India OR From the Caribbean to Central America OR From the Central America to the Caribbean OR Between cities in the Caribbean or Central America
    For tickets purchased before February 10, 2011:
    Two bags checked - No charge

For tickets purchased on or after February 10, 2011:
    $30 for the second checked bag.

The U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands to or from Europe and India OR The U.S., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Connecting through Europe and India to another destination.

For tickets purchased on or after February 10, 2011:
    $60 for the second checked bag. Exceptions may apply.

For tickets purchased before February 10, 2011:
    $50 for the second checked bag.

benolaa and Scott like this.
  2. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great Info but bad for non elite flyers. Is this the beginning of a waive of new fees?

3. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    While any of us who are elite will not have to pay these fees, the drip-drip-drip nature of these charges makes me think it may only be a matter of time before they start charging elites.

When they started charging the non-status Ma and Pa Kettle to check their first bag on their domestic flight, I didn't worry, because I'm not a Kettle, and I wanted AA to make some money.

When they started charging the non-status European studying abroad in the US to check their second bag, I didn't worry, because I'm not planning to study abroad, and I wanted AA to make some money.

[insert additional groups]...

Will they ever run out of people to charge and then come after us?

miamigrad likes this.
  4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, US did some raising, and if AA has any success with these, then everybody else will follow. The shareholders would revolt if they found any legacy airline turning down a successful fee

cockpitvisit likes this.
  5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and then the only way to avoid the fee will be a rider placed in a corporate contract

cockpitvisit likes this.
  6. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That baggage chart on AA.com is getting darn near impossible to read and comprehend! [​IMG]

Thankfully I don't check bags, but I feel sorry for those who do and don't get baggage fee waivers! :(