Changes coming to international J

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by YULtide, Apr 14, 2018.

1. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SD on today's flight said there are a few changes in the offing in international J class. New and improved wines are supposed to be coming, and improved bedding with mattress pads are supposed to be rolled out in the middle of next week.

I'll have a chance to see in two weeks, but if anyone notices sooner, it will be interesting to have a report.

misman likes this.
  2. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flew PE this weekend too/from ZRH and they had new black amenity kits complete with a zipper and black contents. New eyeshade is larger and fits better around the nose but lets a bi of light through the fabric.

"Official" launch is supposed to be on the 17th.

YULtide likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The details have been released today. The new service is being called "Signature Class". More here.

4. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Similar to The Lev, we flew from YYZ-LHR and returned last week, and the new PE amenity kits were fine. Small cloth case with zipper will work well for bringing cellphone charging cord and adapter, and additional foreign SIM Cards when required.

bj-21.

YULtide likes this.
  5. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew YVR/LHR and LHR/YYZ and both flights had the mattress in J. On the YVR/LHR flight I had a terrific sleep with that mattress cushioning my body just a little bit more which made it quite comfortable. I did not use it on the way back to YYZ as it was a day flight.

6. londoncalling

Status Points:
    One thing of note with the new service rollout. I am flying to europe again this week and most flights to LHR are wide open in J but not one has R space available. I think this is a preamble to not permitting upgrades to J as I think PY will be the highest upgrade from any lower fare in the future. Gate upgrades will still happen as they need to fill seats. Just my guess.

7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew YVR-ICN last week and appreciate the mattress pad. New amenity kit is better, and the champagne was a step up.

8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's worrisome. :(

9. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Checked with anAC senior management type and was told my guess is wrong but that they are working hard to sell more J seats particularly to US based customers.

YULtide likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks greatly for the reassuring news!

YULtide likes this.
  11. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a couple of nice flights last week, and on my return tried out day 3 of the domestic version of Signature. In lieu of prosecco on the ground they were serving some of the left over Drappier champagne. I'm not sure the mattress pads make as big a difference on the classic pods as they do with the newer pods.

mevlannen and londoncalling like this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Evidently service upgrades in J do not extend to transcontinental, transborder flights. Last week's direct flight from YVR to BOS (planned at 5:34) included:

-- predeparture water bottle

-- a cheese plate (two slices of cheese, a shred of arugula, a packet of crackers and a half-slice of cucumber plus two green grapes)

-- a bag of almonds

-- one small pour of Johnnie Walker (the 'cooking Scotch').

To get the JW I had to push the service button. There was never an offer of beverages made to the J cabin as a whole.

And that was that. SD vanished into back and never returned to J cabin.

- - - - -

Granted that I paid the fare so that I could unbend my legs on a five-and-a-half hour flight, still, that was far from an 'improved' experience.

And I do promise to return to my normal civility forthwith (she wrote, waiting hopefully to board the BOS>YVR flight back home.....)

YULtide likes this.
  13. londoncalling

Status Points:
    That sounds like a poor effort by the IC as I have not experienced that poor treatment on any AC flight.

YULtide and mevlannen like this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Load was light in both cabins. When I looked back through the half-drawn curtain there was a party going on in the back galley (or lavatory foyer, or whatever they have back there these days).

So, yes, colour me 'not amused'.

However, on the way back, day before yesterday, a different story. Older, definitely veteran, SD, strong Quebecois accent, a delight to travel with (she's worked my transcons before). Again, light load in both cabins; J cabin was over 50% empty, so were entire rows in the front of the Y cabin.

Service was proactive, cheery, and genuine in all respects. A long trip became a restful interlude within a busy day of travel. As I was clacking away at my small computer (getting caught up with work after nine days away), the SD observed to my Darling Spouse, "she always is working, and always with the Scotch"..

Johnnie Walker may be cooking Scotch, but it eases the way over the Great Lakes and the Prairies.

And, by the bye, the meal was good (and both Darling Spouse and I virtuously skipped over the snack basket).

YULtide and londoncalling like this.