Changes at VX Loft @ LAX A Real Mixed Bag

Discussion in 'Virgin America | Elevate' started by socalgecko, Oct 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. socalgecko

socalgecko Silver Member

Though still cheaper than the cost of a day pass to an Admirals Club or really any other mainline carrier lounge, it's been interesting to watch the recent changes to admission policies and amenities for both eleVAte members with status and everyone else. Upside for people passing through: The dropped the regular price from $40 to $30. Slight downside for Silver level members: They took away the annual allotment of free passes but it's now $15 to get in instead of $20. Gold members are now granted free access at all times. Maybe one day I'll log enough miles to move up a tier.

So, it looks like they're making a real effort to get more people to walk into the front door. The hidden added cost though, is that they've added rather loft-y prices for food and beverages that fall outside the realm of wine, beer, and basic bar snacks. Cocktails run $12 on average and anything above a light snack costs about the same. That ends up making quite a pricey lounge experience compared to what Virgin Atlantic offers in SFO or IAD for $40 & $45, respectively.

As a Silver member, paying $15 was absolutely worth it to have a few beers while I waited for my delayed flight to SFO to board on a recent visit. It's certainly cheaper than hanging out at Gladstones, as long as I don't want something to eat beyond mixed nuts. But I witnessed repeated disappointment of guests coming into the lounge only to discover that the view and unlimited beer were the only perks to paying $30 because the Loft had run out of wine. The bartender was even telling people to ask for their money back.