Changes Ahead for Hilton Award Prices

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by sobore, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...head-for-hilton-award-prices.html?id=11037832

t's a fact of travel life that the prices charged by airline and hotel loyalty programs may be changed at any time by the program operators. And what makes it a sad fact is that those changes are almost always for the worse.

Case in point, the following from Hilton:
    On April 30, 2012, 447 of the more than 3,800 hotels within Hilton Worldwide's portfolio of brands will be changing their category level with 330 hotels going up one category and 117 hotels going down one category.

As the company takes pains to point out, the changes affect a very small percentage of Hilton's hotels. But enough small changes over a long enough time period translate into a potentially significant devaluation of a program. It's death by a thousand cuts.

There's nothing you can do to stem the tide of award price increases. Since it's an industry-wide trend—Marriott and Starwood recently increased their prices overall—ditching Hilton HHonors for an alternative hotel program isn't really an option.

What you can do is make the best of a bad situation and work around the changes in the short run. Here's how Hilton describes the timing:

All reservations for a Standard Room Reward or a Points & Money Reward made prior to April 30, 2012, will be honored at their original hotel category from the time of booking; however, reward reservations made after April 30, 2012, will be based on the new hotel category levels.

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/...head-for-hilton-award-prices.html?id=11037832

2soonold and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The grass is either greener or more brown....

Slightly more than 10 percent are going up one class, about 3 percent are going down one...

and how many will leave Hilton ?

<llol>

DTWBOB

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you pay any attention to those posting here and elsewhere "everybody who is smart" fled HH after the last major change or was it the one before that or when they eliminated the Diamond Special Request or was it the Rolling tier?:)

The few HH members left are obviously just plain dupes.:D

4. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    You had me worried for a minute here - I thought this was about more new changes. Personally I didn't really think these ones were all that bad.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    with some major gutting thrown in for good measure:D
    the option is not to play the game when promos are lame & overall being loyal doesn't make sense. My personal loyalty pedulum goes from being many brand top tier for a few years to only using hotwire/priceline, lately most all of my hotel loyalty programs I'm letting lapse and am enjoying the pros of not being shackled to a program(s).

If I was traveling for business in any major manner, I'd probably still have some loyalty stay program as someone else is paying the bill.

me, I've cut my HHonors balance by 2/3 and will be very happy to be done with them alltogether at some point in the future.

zphelj and 2soonold like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    ... yet another devaluation of the program ... and the members can eat cake! :(

7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    what I meant by "how many will leave Hilton" is how many hotels, not customers....

I've stayed with them because I find for Golds and above HGI's give good value. (I rarely stays at DTs or full Hiltons.)

DTWBOB

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  8. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i guess i may be a dupe, then. :D i haven't had an issue with the cuts, yet. the only sting i am feeling this year is the stranglehold comic con has on the SAN properties during their event. the only reason i was keeping status was to make use of the Diamond Guarantee/Special request. it has worked well for me in the past, however this year, not so much. :( if i wasn't taking the kids (guess they aren't really kids but college age), i wouldn't be so determined to have a definite room now rather than later.

anyway, the perks i get with status at Hilton outweigh any cuts b/c it is a known product to us when we travel. the downside is i have "spoiled" the kids and they will probably never experience what it is like to stay in a Motel 6. LOL! like most here, i have raised them to "want" status for the perks that make things just a bit nicer. ;)

9. travelinmike33
    Original Member

travelinmike33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think if you don't stay in hotels very often, then Hilton is a good option. They have given away gold status a few times in the last year and that tends to be considered one of the best (or even the outright best) mid-tier hotel statuses. I got Gold last year through work travel, but now I'm on a long-term assignment with a corporate apartment. I am tempted to switch my leisure stays to another chain, but don't want to lose my upgrades and executive lounge access just yet.

10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't mind some increases in reward value. My reasoning is say you get a point per dollar in a given hotel chain. And say you can get a free night for 20,000 points. So if I stay at a hotel for $100 in 2010 and now that same stay cost $110 in 2012 I would get more points so if the free night went up 10% to 22,000 I could live with that as it would be a wash. However if they jump it up too much or the hotel night cost too much money in the first place I'm on to another chain for more value. My loyalty revolves around 3 brands, IHG, Hilton and Marriott so I trend toward the best deal in a given calendar year. For example this year I need some free nights in Italy for 2013 dates and I happen to have some Hilton stays on the calendar so I'm there trying to get some nights but I'm only Gold with HH and IHG just bumped me on a match to Platinum so I will start shifting there later in the year to maximize my points.

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you really got me confused.. are you asking or implying if more/any hotels will leave Hilton because they upped the catagory of a lowish percentage of their hotel portfolio?:rolleyes:

Catagory adjustments are the result of market conditions (and other factors) which include occupancy rates and room rates. A hotel catagory goes up because it is able full more rooms and command a higher average rate hence the reason that a Hampton in Napa may be a cat 6 as opposed to a cat 2 in Roseville, MI.

The higher the catagory the more cash the property receives from HH whan an award is used.. so why in the world would a hotel that is doing better over a period be unhappy with a catagory increase?

12. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    NO

Hotels change chains all the time and the number where it takes more points, the number where it will take less points and the number that will leave are all the same in my mind. I'm not implying cause and effect.

I'm just saying all of these numbers are small and this whole thing is only a big deal when you book a hotel that's part of one chain, only to find out when you get there that it's changed chains.

DTWBOB

13. richardf

richardf New Member

Status Points:
    I am new here - It seems other things have changed like the executive lounge access -
    "If you are a Gold HHonors guest, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits."

And I just made Gold

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those have always been the terms. There's some sign upgrade frequency may be dropping and I believe the upgrade language has been made more noncomittal, but that published benefit has not changed.

As always, the policies of a particular hotel may be generous or stingy.