Change.org Petition of "no confidence" in d.r.S.L. Lambasted

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HeathrowGuy, Jul 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As we all know, Jeff Smisek, the dear respected Supreme Leader (d.r.S.L.) of United Airlines, works tirelessly to build United into the best airline on Earth, and takes good care of us so long as we are loyal to him. There are satanic people hellbent on trying to undermine United's rightful place as the World's Leading Airline, and their latest "effort" is a "petition of no confidence" in the d.r.S.L., which is to be sent to the President of the United States, among others.

The offensive drivel can be found here (warning: highly emotional content):
    http://www.change.org/petitions/no-confidence-vote-for-jeff-smisek-as-ceo-of-ual

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a free world. ;)

3. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once had a crisis of confidence. The crisis passed. Thank you

Flyer1976, rggale and HeathrowGuy like this.
  4. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm surprised you haven't started a competing petition, HeathrowGuy. ;)

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    There really aren't many comments, and they seem to be a mix of disgruntled union workers and parrots. I have had my fair share of issues with Jeff Smisek, but I am beginning to see him as a very astute CEO.

Making money in the airline business is hard. Lucrative union contracts, low cost carriers and rising fuel prices make it even harder. At this point in time, he seems to be determined to make it a profitable airline. That's his job, lest we forget.

It may not be the best of everything, but it certainly isn't the worst. If we end up with all cut rate carriers, no domestic premium cabins, no baggage fee waivers, etc., those of us who fly frequently might very well end up missing him. Sure I'd like to see improvement in a variety of areas, but I think he's doing a good job at this snapshot in time.
    Reserving the right to change my mind as things change going forward, put me in the "vote of confidence" column today.

Disclaimer: This is not an overall endorsement of everything that I know will be pointed out following this post. Lots of problems remain to be resolved, but there is no magic wand. Time will tell if he has what it takes to fix the problems, one or two at a time. IMHO, he could start with removing himself from the pre-flight videos. That's a narcissistic behavior that does not serve him well at this time of much change. He can't win by making himself the focal point of changes that are making a lot of people uncomfortable at best - angry at worst.

HeathrowGuy and uggboy like this.
  6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    give_me_a_spit_take_skit.jpg

Counsellor, snap and tommy777 like this.
  7. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    My main gripe with d.r.S.L is that he shrinking United Airlines to nothing.

International routes cut since merger
    EWR-CPH
    EWR-IST
    EWR-EZE
    IAD-DME :mad:
    IAD-ACC-LOS
    IAD-EZE
    EWR-ATH

I wonder what is next?

Meanwhile Delta Airlines has service right a UA's backyard to AMS and CDG, ex EWR.
    UA on the other hand has no service internationally from JFK anymore, and is basically letting DL take traffic ex-EWR to Skyteam hubs.

CAL paid a premium for LHR slots. Meanwhile UA today is flying a 757 to London in the morning. How about trying to make some money instead of letting VS and BA eat your lunch?

How about a CEO who actually want to grow revenue and profits?

The current trend is to shrink UAL to be as small as it can be. LAME.

8. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's not the whole story. UA has also added a number of international routes, including DEN-NRT, IAH-LOS, LAX-PVG, SFO-TPE, SFO-CDG, IAD-GUA, IAD-SJO, just off the top of my head.

And UA's strategy of not competing against other carriers on routes is precisely designed to increase profits and revenues by maximizing routes that can command higher margins. Why compete with DL on EWR-AMS when it can do EWR-FRA instead, with higher margins?

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Because some of us would much rather fly to AMS.

Flyer1976, chrislacey and meFIRST like this.
  10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, but I'm sure the majority of UA's high revenue passengers are OK with or prefer FRA. They do the financial analysis before they make decisions about routes and gauge. And with more data and experience than any of us have. To say that an airline is making poor decisions because they don't fly to all the places *I* want to fly to seems like a flawed argument.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    AMS is in a SkyTeam country. FRA's in a *A country that's well placed. Not hard to figure out more traffic goes to FRA.

If you asked me the one thing I'd like out of SFO that we don't have, it's a *A AMS non-stop. That said, I like KLM a bunch, just not the rest of SkyTeam.

To Europe, we have *A non-stops to LHR, FRA, CDG, CPH, ZRH as well as a partner flight to DUB. I just one one more....

Counsellor likes this.
  12. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am confident that the d.r.s.l. is confident that a vote of no confidence is not going to decrease confidence unless Frank Lorenzo rides in to town. :p

13. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-TPE is still a myth. Far more international destinations got cut than added.

One cannot dispute the modus operandi of d.r.S.L is to retreat, cut, cut, while ceeding market share and profit opportunities to other people.

UAL does well on routes where it has little competition. Then again, so would any business

14. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:

Smisek is the first United CEO since Steve Wolf(!) who is demanding that United start functioning like a rational airline and a real business. New United's managers are confronting the demons (e.g,, severe product/fleet/facility under-investment, operational inefficiencies, irrational labor-management relations, and no real planning for the future) spawned under prior leaders. It's likely true that Jeff and his team were, for a time, overwhelmed by the multitude and magnitude of problems at United that needed serious, and often expensive solutions in order to ensure the merged airline would remain viable, let alone competitive in the marketplace.

But most of the heavy lifting in this regard is now behind him. United now has a fleet plan for the future that addresses needed replacements, desired expansion, and a migration away from small RJs. The current fleet is now getting the maintenance investment it needs to ultimately attain levels of reliability and efficiency befitting a leading airline. Every hub will finally have a hangar, and the hangars will contain the parts and know-how needed to fix the planes that actually fly through those airports. The longhaul cabins have already benefited hugely from the refreshment efforts thus far, making United competitive with its chief rivals in BusinessFirst, at least a plausible option in GlobalFirst, and quite nice in Economy (747s and some 763s excepted, but improvements are coming there, too). Domestically, United has at least developed plans that will update the amenities for all of its fleet types, which is better than the "no plans" that existed before Smisek.

Labor remains the biggest challenge going forward, but even here, the culture is steadily changing for the better: from one where front-line workers were expected to ignore problems to one where they're now encouraged to constructively report concerns to management, and managers will listen and respond or find themselves held to account. Complete integration of the workforce is a must for United to realize the full potential of the merger, and to have a chance of attaining consistently good if not award-winning customer service levels...but it must be done in a way that makes business sense, not just papers over problems today at the expense of bigger problems for United in the future.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    UAX, still broken. :rolleyes:

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heathrowguy, are you and Smisek lovers?

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  17. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If only HeathrowGuy were so lucky. :p

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  18. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add IAD-HNL to the list of flights cut since merger. Ends at the end of summer

19. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow that stinks. Of course in all fairness, it did not exist prior to merger. :(

20. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Add that to Jeff's wall of shame, in addition to these routes that have been cut since the merger, as mentioned previously.

EWR-CPH
    EWR-IST
    EWR-EZE
    IAD-DME :mad:
    IAD-ACC-LOS
    IAD-EZE
    EWR-ATH

21. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:

No, we are not. He's not my type when it comes to potential romantic interests. But he remains the dear respected Supreme Leader, the Lodestar of Commercial Aviation, and one of the greatest airline CEOs who has ever lived.

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the case, it'd be a menage-a-trois with another regular contributor.

meFIRST, goalie and flyforawg like this.
  23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    New routes added:
    DEN-NRT
    IAH-LOS
    LAX-PVG
    SFO-CDG
    IAD-GUA
    IAD-SJO

SFO-CTU (announced)
    ORD-EDI (announced)
    SFO-TPE (March 2014)

Cancels NRT-HKG

LETTERBOY likes this.
  24. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the main thing most people are upset about was when he said, "If you like your mileage reward program, you can keep it."

Gtitan and KenInEscazu like this.