Change in Upgrade Policy?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mdtravel, Nov 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a discussion (getting buried) over at FT on this.

For years, elites flying with other elites would inherit the highest elite status for upgrades. As a CP, my wife (gold) and daughter (silver) often would get upgraded at the seven day window.

I have a trip on an RJ coming up with my wife and daughter. We cleared the outbound upgrade. Then I get an email 8 days out of the return with language I've never seen before:

"Complimentary upgrade not offered."

In the past if I didn't clear the upgrade due to space the text would be "No upgrades available."

I called the CP line and was told that there would be no upgrade because I had too many people on my itinerary.

So if it is a change, it is an unannounced change to the benefits.

Newscience likes this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it's welcome to the "New American"? :eek:

vickers likes this.
  3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was really hoping to not have negative changes like this until later in the year next year.

4. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this one for most of this year already. Maybe it's because I'm not as high, I'm a Gold, Wife and Daughter a silver, I have to separate the reservations in order to get the upgrade sometimes, same language. First happened to me in February-March of this year, definitely had it happen all summer.

I know the systems are not fully integrated, but I dislike when I buy a ticket on US airways now, it's serviced by American, they can see I'm an elite, and I still have to manually check every seat or I am shoved all the way into the back. I just fixed my upcoming flight, all 4 legs are near the back, in the middle, when I can easily find seats in first row against the window.

last tiny min-rant - I was on a domestic flight home, on American, first class is only half full....do they upgrade me.....nope. I have to manually go over and put myself on standby I guess. Simply stupid to me.

5. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've not had a problem with this as recently as the last month on two different trips. Now I'm seeing that I cannot even change my seats on my return flight for next Saturday the 29th and on that flight there are still 7 out of 9 first class seats open.

6. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey how did you get on an american upgrade list????