Change in First Class Snack Basket - Please Observe and Report

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Art234, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A new member of FFOCUS started a thread regarding his recent experience on US in First. He said that the flight attendant came around with the snack basket, but told him they were no longer permitted to refill the basket-if they run out of product that's it.

Around the same time, one of our board members got information with regard to the new snack basket which will be introduced April 1. Apparently the offerings have been improved, but the sheet indicates that the baskets come prepackaged, which may preclude refills.

If anyone is flying US F over the next couple of weeks, could you please check if the baskets are in fact being replenished or if it is in fact once and done? Also a review of the new basket would be appreciated...

new%20FC%20snack%20basket.jpg

2. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Snack basket was definitely refilled last Sunday and Thursday on my PHL-CLT/CLT-PHL flights. I wonder if they were just under catered? We'll see what they do tomorrow as I have 2 legs in F.

Update: Needed to change my schedule this week, so wound up on a lovely CRJ instead of a 767 today. Unlikely to be on mainline again before next week.

3. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some upcoming trips post 4/1 that will that likely be in F. I'll keep my eyes on the snack basket. I'm often one of the reasons why it needs to be refilled ;).

SS255 likes this.
  4. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think we need a "shame on you" button next to the "like" button! :D

5. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    A buddy of mine who works on FC planning at US indicated the "new" snack basket would have 42 items in it. It'll be interesting to see just how they do that without reducing the size of items offered.

With 42 items, it shouldn't need to be refilled. Even on a the A321's with 16 F seats, that's 3 snacks per passenger.

Also worthy of note is that the snack basket will not be offered on flights under 1.5 hours. Instead, a basic snack (like the Fiesta Mix) will be offered on those flights.

desert_gecko likes this.
  6. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had two flights CLT>MCO>CLT over the past 24 hours and in one case the snack basket was actively refilled and in the other case the FA was perfectly willing to refill it, but didn't need to. That one was a very bumpy flight and so she only managed one quick pass of the snack basket. It was bad enough that they didn't come through the coach cabin at all. I was in 1D, so we were able to chat and she hadn't even heard that the new snack basket was coming, much less been briefed to change anything else.

7. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    4 flights in the last 4 days or so, got usual snack basket on all of them but that's what I expected as the "changes" are slated for April 1. At any rate, I did notice that service on 3 of the 4 flights was way above par for recent years, and the 4th the service was just fine. "Just fine" gets lost when surrounded by "way above par" though.

On the 3 above-par flights, the FA used the manifest to address passengers by name which is happening so frequently on US now, I think it's a new initiative. I do like that touch even if it can be a little hokey (poor fella in 2C will probably stop flying US now that all the FA's are making cornball jokes about how his name is the same as a famous athlete). And I am glad to report I have not seen the handshaking trend continue. But it's nice to see such a push towards overall better service. I can live just fine with a pack of fiesta mix instead of 4 shortbreads on a flight to CLT if the tradeoff is friendlier, more professional service across the board.

DeacFlyer1 and RedM3Pilot like this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should be able to provide a full report on Sunday...in F for both DCA-CLT and CLT-LAX, so I'll get a short flight and a long flight to hopefully see the full changes!

9. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today - BOS-LGA - basket was kept full. Same suspects.

10. HereOrThere

HereOrThere Silver Member

Status Points:
    LAS-CLT. Still have the Kettle Chips. Added choco chip cookies, cheddar crackers, and some others. Sorry about the lack of a full inventory; I usually only get the chips.

FA also confirmed 'no refills'. I guess it gets delivered as a single package?

Glassware also seems to be back. Ceramic mugs; glass tumblers, little flute type glasses for juice.

kellio and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  11. beofotch
    Original Member

beofotch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking forward to trying out the new snack basket.

12. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm apprehensive that this will limit my Kettle Chips intake. :(

13. There were still at least 7-8 bags of the chips on Flt 1543 which I'm on right now. Another new one HereorThere didn't mention was a Fig Newton fruit crisp. I'm not a big fan of Fig Newton but gave these a try and they were excellent! I would definitely recommend giving them a shot.

treznor and RedM3Pilot like this.
  14. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would reduce your chance of becoming one.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  15. treznor

treznor Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I noticed the Fig Newton crisp last Thursday (the 24th). Quite good!

16. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did the granola mix find it's way to the new basket?

desert_gecko likes this.
  17. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the exception of the previously mentioned additions to the snack basket, absolutely no other changes last night on CLT-DCA. Will give another report tomorrow night after doing DCA-CLT and CLT-LAX.

To answer Patti's quesiton above, there was some sort of new mix in the basket, but it wasn't granola...but I ate it and approved!

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  18. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Today DCA-BOS shuttle - blocked at 1:24 so no basket - had slightly better than the
    norm little bags of Selects savory snack mix - "a delicious blend of corn and flax
    chips, cheddar corn sticks, almonds, and honey sesame sticks."

19. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    So CLT-DCA is blocked under 90 minutes and they still had a snack basket?

Please keep the observations coming...

20. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that CLT-DCA flight was blocked at 1:13, and they had the normal snack basket service (with the additional items). Sitting in DCA now to do DCA-CLT so will see if anything has changed in two days and let everyone know.

21. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would imagine they would keep it on CLT-LGA even though it is close to the 90 minute limit (I think actual air times can be as little as one hour).

22. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sitting here on US 1499 CLT-LAX--I think I'll start a new thread on the new first class meal service to keep it separate from the snack basket discussion, so I'll do that in a few minutes...but as for DCA-CLT a little earlier tonight, we had the "fixed" snack basket, aka just one choice of the "snack mix" (I took some photos on my blackberry so will try to upload when I'm on the ground and have phone service). The drink service was the same. To me, no big deal--there was plenty of it available (far more than everyone took), and for a flight under an hour like that, the drinks are more important to me.