Change in Citi AAdvantage card terms

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by malikguy, Dec 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it looks like the terms of new AAdvantage cards has changed. They no longer advertise Priority AAccess as a feature of the account. It's now Priority Boarding. The terms on the AA.com site for the Citi card show Priority Boarding (Group 1) and additionally, both advertise that Priority AAccess at security and ticketing counters is no longer included. I'm really happy with this change because Priority AAccess was getting pretty diluted with non-elite / non full-fare customers = greater quantities of gate lice.

2. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? I admit I do not fly AA much, but I had 4 legs on them last week and only one of those had anybody go up when they called prioirty boarding. (I was in Group 1, so was paying attention).

daninstl and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I second Malikguy's comment. I flew over 100K miles on AA this year and the "gate lice" is absurd. I end up staying back and when they call First Class/EXP I almost push forward through the lice (not afraid of bumping them or kicking their bags) reminding them that they are no where near boarding time.

Even (many) Platinums can be annoying. They are in the second group called and are huddled there thinking there will be no overhead baggage room or something. People need to chill out.

LETTERBOY and malikguy like this.
  4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was the other peculiarity of my experience last week. I don't thnk the overhead filled up on any of those 4 segments, though it might have on the final one (DFW-DCA). Since I'm used to UA where nearly every flight has them gate checking bags, this was also noticeable (though not enough to convert me to AA. I was flying them because of schedule considerations for a business trip.)

5. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    A big fat LOL to that. :D

6. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's like that for practically every airline. UA and DL are just as bad

malikguy likes this.
  7. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind I fly the dreaded Monday morning flight(s) out of DFW where EXPs and Plats are the majority on almost all flights. Therefore, if no status, I wouldn't even bother bringing a bag on. Overhead is toast shortly after Priority Access.

I actually take a peek at boarding passes as I'm bulldozing the lice, when I see someone there with Group 4 I may just turn to them and say "are you kidding me, your not boarding for another 15 minutes, go sit down!" hahahahaha

anabolism, malikguy and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a slippery slope when having too many priority aaccess on a given flight. As gold at the beginning of the year, you'd get lumped in with lots of inexperienced flyers who all had priority (assuming through the credit card snafu), so you try to keep even with them so you don't get your overhead bag checked or many rows behind your seat.

Later in the year, as platinum, we would sometimes get forgotten on the routes I flew. We'd go straight from first/EXP to priority. There is an incentive to crowd the gate when there are so many extra people being invited.

Looking forward to EXP, so as not to have to worry about this next year.

funtrainsf likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you know they are gate lice? Careful inspection of their boarding passes before you bump them?

I have had more than once had a DYKWIA flyer try to push past me on UA because he (usually a he) thought he gets to board before me (1K, boarding group 1). I generally try to be polite even in those scenarios as karma will have it that I'd otherwise probably end up in the seat next to them for the six hours in the tube...

10. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is very good point. I'm sure many people here can identify the lice vs the shampoo. When they call First Class/EXP the line checking in starts moving. Toward the back of the line there is no movement so you can easily figure out who is just waiting to break in. I start my walk toward the line when called (whichever status I am). You can tell quite easily who is licing it or not. It is possible to make a mistake, I agree, but WAY more often than not, it is easy to find.

If I do end up sitting next to someone I "brushed" by, I will simply explain to them the annoyance they are causing in an educating format. But alas, sometimes it won't get through. I think it just comes down to manners really.

malikguy, wlcam and LETTERBOY like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I admire that you AA folks are so organized to actually have a line. Often when flying UA I just see a big cluster or cloud of people shuffling around into the general direction of the gate. I try to peak at people's BP to see if they can/should be bypassed or not. If I can't tell and they don't move, I ask. If I just have a small carry-on, I don't actually care when I board.

I really wish the legacies would take a look at WN's boarding line-up approach.

servo likes this.
  12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I solve this problem by only bringing my messenger bag/backpack on to the plane. No rollaboard, no kitchen sink, no labrador retriever. I can board last, take my seat, and slide my small bag under my seat where I can easily access my iPad, Kindle, or laptop for entertainment when we cross 10K ft. Stress-free. :)

MX, daninstl, Espan and 4 others like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We AA folks love getting praise, but I have to admit that the idea there would be a "line" for boarding any of my AA flights makes me laugh. We're just like everyone else in this regard, hordes of folks.

14. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, there is semblance of a line where the GA will scan BP, but about 5-6 people deep is a mad cluster of Lice and Elites. Once the boarding group is announced, one can normally tell who is filth and how is legit.

Something else that puzzles me in this area are those First/Business Class/EXP's that actually line up ready to board WAY before boarding is going to start. Say what? Is there a prize for being the actual first person to board? I'd like to know what these people are worried about to have to think about lining up so early. Please do educate me, anyone... anyone... Bueller... Bueller?

ezb and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I've done that on occasions where I am (a) in economy, (b) don't see a convenient seat in the waiting area and (c) have my rollaboard that I want to keep with me. Basically, I have to stand around somewhere anyway, I might as well stand on the carpet, even if it might look strange to others. Mind you, that wouldn't be more than 10 mins prior to scheduled boarding.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe eager trip report writers who want empty cabins for their plane pictures? ;)

17. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. Man, that industry has blossomed then. Didn't realize there were so many out there. ;)

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Certainly pictures was another reason on my recent personal inaugural UA 787 flight.

19. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just on citi's website and the World Elite card still shows Priorty Access (boarding securty chck in). I guess the phrase they use is something about ehnanced airport experence or something like that. The regular advantage card looks like the one that got downgraded a tad. Im away from my laptop so I dont remember the exact wording

malikguy likes this.
  20. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense. Not as many people are willing to shell out $450.00 / year and top of that there's no waiver for the first year. What's interesting to me though is that they still have refrained from the use of the words "Priority AAccess". Here are the terms:

Enhanced Airport Experience
    For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled. Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® cardmembers will have the following benefits: priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges when traveling on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier operated and marketed flights. Up to eight customers traveling with the eligible primary cardmember will also get priority check-in (where available), priority airport screening (where available), and priority boarding privileges if they are listed in the same reservation. Priority boarding group will only be printed on the boarding pass of the eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® primary credit cardmember. You may check in at any Business Class check-in position or First Class check-in when Business Class is not available, regardless of the class of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines. These benefits will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an AA flight number but operated by another airline. Exclusive lanes at security checkpoints are available, subject to TSA approval. Applicable terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.

21. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I tend to see a very long line starting at the Priority AAccess red carpet, snaking back into the seats. I admit I'm one of those who even when in F get to the gate area around 50 minutes before departure for domestic, because while scheduled boarding is 30 minutes prior, sometimes flights board at 45 minutes early, especially if the plane is ready and the flight is full, and I like being first on board so I have time to get settled in without getting in anyone's way. I try to be first in line because I'm quick down the jetbridge so why waut behind others who dawdle?
    No Golden Retriever either?

Seriously though, it's great for those who don't mind either checking or not bringing much. Personally, I hate checking and generally need to fill my roll-aboard (which fits wheels first).

I like to get settled before the crush, so I'm not in anyone's way.

The careful use of the terms "Priority Boarding" and "Priority AAccess" is completely lost on the overwhelming majority of passengers, elite and non-elite. Most people have no idea what the boarding order is or what the terms mean or the difference between the red and blue lanes.

AA didn't help when they introduced the Priority AAccess term. It just further confused most people, pretty much all of whom now assume they get to board first.

I've seen some foreign carriers with electronic signs over the boarding gates that announce which groups are eligible to use which lanes, and which groups are currently boarding, and which group is next. I think this could really help a lot were AA to adopt it (pipe dream I know).

Here's a mock-up of what I'd like to see:

[​IMG]

Larger size (easier to see): link.

Travelman, Kalboz and malikguy like this.
  22. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Today was nice. GA was turning back anyone not in First Class after she called it for boarding. Love that!

Some gates at some airports have started separating the PA and GB lines. I like that since it moves the lice away from me.

ezb, LETTERBOY, malikguy and 2 others like this.
  23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, rare and nice to see!

All AA stations I've been at in the past year or so have separate red/PA and blue/GA lanes but it doesn't help much, especially because once the line gets more than a few people deep, newcomers can't easily see which line it is.

24. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying just side by side lines. I'm talking the lines are WAY separated (like on either side of gate desk). I recall a gate at DCA has it like that.

25. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Awesome mock-up!