Change Fee $150 for 1K Member

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by GreenCal, Mar 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any work around to avoid fee for $150 ? I am 1K memeber.

I was told if there any change in schedule/fligh UA may not charg fee, however on web site it still askiing for $150 change fee!

Any suggestion?

Thanks
    Greencal

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that you need to check your receipt for the fare rules. If you see something like
    then there is little you can do to avoid the change fee regardless of your elite status...unless you change to a flight that is $150 or more cheaper than your current flight, in which case you would still pay the change fee, but you'll also get credit for the difference in the form of a discount coupon or voucher, which you can use to offset the cost of a ticket in the future.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The confusion might be with Mileage Plus award ticketing. For those, 1Ks don't pay a change fee.

And if you didn't buy a full-fare ticket, chances are you bought a ticket with the change fee in the fine print. You might be able to call up the Premier Line and give a sob story, or a legitimate one such as illness or death in the family, but it's unlikely you will be able to get around it.

The days of flexibility and forgiveness at United are long gone.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were there really ever days where the company would routinely waive the change fee for elites? I certainly don't remember them.

andimal and mht_flyer like this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

goalie likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nor do .I...

7. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless there is a schedule change you need to pay the fee. Part of the contract when you buy the ticket. I don't ever recall getting a waiver when I was 1K on sUA.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K, I called yesterday to try and weasel out of a change fee for a ticket that was 29h old (i.e., I missed the cutoff by 5h) due to a change of plans.

I thought it was possible enough to merit the effort of a phone call, but wasn't really expecting them to waive it (and they didn't). I've never gotten a change fee waived (other than during official waivers), though admittedly I don't generally ask and I've only been 1K about 3-4 years.

9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prior to 9/11/01 UA was fairly generous to top elites about waiving change fees on non-refundable tickets - at least for adjustments like changing the return date. After 9/11/01 this flexibility disappeared.

goalie likes this.
  10. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2001!? That's digging deep into organizational history. A whole generation of employees have come and gone since then!

IDGflygirl likes this.
  11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I joined Mileage Plus in 1981. I can tell you my favorite seats on the DC-8 and 727-100. So, yeah, I can remember back a few years.

goalie likes this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. There were other times when you could use a full ticket for the same routing on different dates.

13. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the average seniority of CSRs and GAs, but there are plenty of people who have been around since the 70s and 80s.

14. TrvtoMch

TrvtoMch Member

Status Points:
    Quit United as I did cold turkey! It'll be okay! I was a Premier Exec only cause I couldn't stand to fly them every week and then when they merged and started screwing everybody I just spent my money elsewhere! I now have 1.6 million points on Southwest and couldn't be happier! You'll be okay without a wide seat up front and a shitty meal every so often if you do get upgraded! Still get as many free drinks as you want and Free wi-Fi and more free flights then you'll ever use!!

sobore likes this.
  15. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    And if you want to take an international trip, you're hosed! The grass is almost never greener on the other side of whatever it is you're looking at.

FortFun, Hartmann, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  16. TrvtoMch

TrvtoMch Member

Status Points:
    Yes you are, you'd have to fly with the peasants in the back or pay for First Class! So if you do lots of international travel then it's a no brainier to fly a legacy , but thousands of loyalists fly domestic exclusive on a legacy for some odd reason! Keep in mind Southwest flies to Puerto Rico now and very shortly will be in Mexico, South America , Hawaii , and all over the Caribbean so technically they will fly internationally!

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad that in view of the international (TPAC, TATL) travel contingency you are walking back your exalted advice to (paraphrasing) "quit United cold turkey, as you did, 'cause it'll be okay". For many of us, it will not be okay because the world extends quite a bit more beyond the Americas...

LETTERBOY likes this.