chances of getting upgrade on LAX-ORD routes

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by dingalpha, Nov 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dingalpha

dingalpha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I will going to have a MR with same day return like

AA699 ORD-LAX 8:20pm-10:55pm

AA1062 LAX-ORD 11:55pm-05:50am

I am pretty sure these two flights are on the same aircraft since the gate 699 arrives at is also the one 1062 departs from and there is only 1 hour shift time.

I am a Platinum member now and I will get the 4 500-mile upgrades one week before this MR. I am considering about upgrading either the outbound or the inbound. Anyone knows which one will be more possible to get cleared?

Thanks,

Yi

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try requesting upgrade for the outbound first and then if you don't clear, you can try requesting upgrade for the inbound. That way you'll have a shot a both flights. You should clear one of the two. ;)

dingalpha likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There's a lot that goes into a question like that. We'd need to know the day of the week, what your seat maps looked like, what inventory AA is selling on the flights, etc. And even then, it's all just fancy guess work. No harm in requesting and seeing what you can get. If anything, if other elites get upgrades you can move to a better seat. ;)

dingalpha likes this.
  4. dingalpha

dingalpha Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are definitely right!

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hate to disagree, but upgrade priority is based on the time of the request. If you don't request the upgrade on the inbound until you've missed the upgrade on the outbound, you're almost guaranteed not to get it.

If you want to increase your chances you should request both now. If both happen to clear, you can either purchase the stickers from AA to cover the 2nd upgrade or decline it.

dingalpha and malikguy like this.
  6. dingalpha

dingalpha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good idea and that's what I did a few days ago. Thanks!